Seventeen

I awoke to my stomach growling, the pain I had felt hours before completely gone but that didn't mean I wasn't still hot and bothered. Sitting up in bed, I stretched feeling completely well rested. Glancing at my phone on my end table, I reached over and picked it up looking at the time I was shocked. I had slept for well over thirteen hours. A text suddenly caught my attention:

I'm sorry I couldn't be with you this morning; more rogues had been spotted around the border so I had to take care of them. Breakfast is in the fridge if you get hungry. I'll be back later to make it up to you. 😉

It was from Elijah, complete with a cheeky wink at the end to boot. I couldn't stop the pang of sadness that swept through me, but I pushed it back. He had to do his job to protect the pack, and I needed to accept that I won't be able to spend every morning with him even if I wanted to. Rolling out of bed, I pulled on Elijah's hoodie and made my way into the kitchen to feed my angry belly. Pulling open the refrigerator door, I winced at the ever present soreness in my hips, reminding me of the evening I spent with Elijah. I couldn't help but smile as I picked up the plate he had made for me, unraveling the shrink wrap and placing it into the microwave to heat up. Staring out the kitchen window and into the forest, I watched as a wolf ran past and then another, the sudden urge to shift and run with them consumed me but not before my wolf came forward her eyes shining back at me in the glass of the window.

"We can't shift." She said, her voice echoing throughout the house. Then she was gone and my eyes were back to normal.

"Why can't we shift?" I asked though apart of me knew I already knew why I couldn't shift.

You already know why. Her words rang clear, and I instantly knew what she meant. Eve had told me she wasn't able to shift because of her pregnancy, it was dangerous, not just for herself, but for her unborn child. Could I really be pregnant? Elijah said there was a ninety percent chance but that still left a ten percent chance of it not working. Should I wait to test? What should I tell Elijah? My mind raced with questions and I had completely forgotten what I was doing, that was, until the microwave beeped, scaring me, "Shit!"

Shaking my head, I threw the door open and grabbed my food, my mouth watering at the smell of the beautifully cooked waffles, eggs and five sausage links. Squealing with delight, I quickly grabbed a fork and began digging in, not bothering to sit at the table. Elijah would be home soon, we could talk then. After I finished my food, I rinsed my plate and made my way into our master bathroom to fill the tub. A nice long bath sounded amazing right now especially with the fall weather coming in soon. As the water rushed out of the faucet, I threw in a few handfuls of epsom salt and some soap as I wanted to be surrounded with a thick blanket of bubbles. When the bath was almost all the way full, I peeled off my clothes and stepped in, the warmth enveloping me before I submerged fully, enjoying the water as it helped relax my muscles and ease my soreness. With a long sigh, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes feeling absolutely at peace.

That was, until I heard the front door open and close shut. My eyes shot open immediately and I quietly pulled myself up and out of the tubs warm embrace before I reached for a towel. But before I could even manage to wrap the fabric around myself the sound of footsteps came toward me and Elijah's smiling face greeted me. I let out a sigh of relief, "Oh good, it's just you."

"Just me, Emilia, who did you think I was?" Elijah asked, his smile gone.

"It's nothing, my wolf is just on edge." I replied, hanging the towel back up before melting back into the water, "Did you take care of the rogues?"

"I did." He answered and I sighed before turning to look at him.

"Would you care to join me?" I asked and the seriousness was gone, replaced with a cheeky grin as he quickly removed his clothes to join me in the tub.