Twenty-Six

I came back from my morning run feeling unimaginably tired and nauseous rather than energized and happy as I thought I would be. My wolf refused to shift, that of course, should have been my first sign. Grabbing a glass from the cabinet, I quickly filled it before taking a sip, only to have my nausea took over forcing me to lose my breakfast. With a frustrated sigh, I rinsed my mouth out.

"Yeah that didn't help." I mumbled to myself before heading toward the bathroom to brush my teeth.

How long had it been since my heat? A few weeks? I was so focused on healing and working on my relationship with Elijah and our pack that I didn't even think about the possibility of another pregnancy. We're we ready? What if I miscarry again? A million questions flooded my mind making my anxiety sky rocket then I remembered that stressing about it probably wasn't helping.

I'll take a test to confirm. And then if it's positive, I'll tell Elijah. Easy.

Still, I couldn't hold back the worry that something would happen and I would lose this child too. Taking a deep breath, I rushed over to the bathroom, searching through the drawers for the stash of pregnancy tests I had bought just in case I went through my heat again. I was too impatient to wait until Elijah got home and secretly wondered if I should surprise him.

One thing at a time. My wolf said her voice level and calmly reassuring.

I rolled my eyes, my wolf yipping in the back of my mind. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of a response even if I knew she was right.

After peeing and lots of pacing, I finally was able look at the test laying silently on the sink. Sure enough, two dark lines stared back at me and immediately my heart leapt. I needed to tell Elijah, Clarissa, everyone!

You could do an announcement gift. My wolf added.

How do you know about that?

I felt her roll her eyes, I may be a wolf but that doesn't mean I don't know about other things humans do.

Well okay then. I replied, immediately wanting to get everything ready. But there was only one problem: I didn't have anything to wrap it in.

Without a second thought, I left our cabin and marched straight towards Lucas and Clarissa's home. Knocking on the door, I tried not to listen past it but I had a sinking feeling I was walking in on them, well, I guess karma is a bitch. We really need to start putting signs out.

After a few minutes, the door swung open and a disheveled looking Clarissa opened the door. "Yes?"

"Did I?"

"Yes, but um, what do you need?" She asked, her tone sounding irritated and I knew exactly how she felt.

"We're going shopping." I paused, "You have one hour."

"Wait, shopping, why are we going shopping?"

I smiled, "Uh, no reason..."

"Clarissa." Lucas called from inside the house, clearly wanting me to leave.

"Oh," she said giving him a stern look before looking back at me. "I'll be there in a minute."

"I'll explain everything on the drive over, but your coming with me."

"Where are you going?" Elijah asked behind me and I immediately whipped around to face him, "Why are you going shopping? You hate shopping unless you desperately have to."

"Elijah, um, that's true, I was just..." I paused, trying to think of what to say as Elijah stared back at me confusion clearly written all over his face. "Well, you see, I was going to go to the store because we're out of gift bags and I was going to get you a gift, well, an announcement gift really. Because I'm pregnant. And I was gonna have Clarissa go—Oh shit! I just told you."