Twenty-Three

I was finally able to relax a little when I entered our home, but still, my wolf was on edge. Taking a deep breath, I continued walking past the living room and into our bedroom, Elijah's scent lingering in the air as I turned toward the bathtub. Silently, I stepped into the tub only now realizing that the dress I had worn in Caspian's pack was no longer on my body, instead I was naked and covered in blood. Sinking down, I sat at the bottom of the tub and waited knowing I was home but still I wondered if all of this was real. Was I really safe?

The floorboards squeaked beside me and I quickly turned toward the sound, my heart thumping hard against my chest as the fear squeezed it.

"I'm sorry I," Elijah paused, worry evident in his tone, "I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?"

I couldn't speak, all I could do was hug my knees to my chest as I closed my eyes hoping to calm my racing heart rate as I processed what had happened to me over the last five days.

"He's dead." I stated, my voice hoarse. It wasn't a question. I already knew the answer and despite getting justice for what happened to me, I was still upset.

"He is." Elijah's voice echoed throughout the bathroom, the smell of him bringing me some comfort but still, I couldn't calm my mind.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, looking over at him, grief hitting me all at once, "I'm so sorry. I should have fought back I should have—" I couldn't finish the rest of what I had to say as my emotions rose to the surface and in seconds I was sobbing uncontrollably.

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Elijah said his voice trying to sooth me, hesitating to touch me only for a second before he did and I  flinched, "I'm sorry Emilia I," he paused, moving his hand away just as quickly, "I know what you went through was horrendous but I won't be able to help you unless you show me what happened."

I shook my head, "No, no, Elijah, he was your brother."

"Emilia, he stopped being my brother a long time ago. Please," he paused, "just let me help you."

I squeezed my eyes shut, memories flooding my vision and my wolf wined as I let them trickle across my bond with Elijah, letting him in on what had happened to me after he left. We were both silent, neither of us breathing a word as my body shook, my emotions and the pain coming back to me all at once. When I was done, I opened my eyes again, not daring to look him in the eyes as I listened to the low growl his wolf was unleashing.

"Emilia, I, I'm so—"

"I think I need to be alone now." I whispered, my voice hoarse, "Please Elijah."

"I, um, okay. I'll be outside if you need anything." I nodded listening as his footfalls as he left the bathroom and the door shut securely behind him.

It was then I was finally able to breathe, to let my emotions overwhelm me and finally grieve. I knew he could hear me, our wolf senses way more in tune than when I was human, but if he cared at all, he would give me space. I knew in this moment that I would never let anyone hurt my pack, my mate, or even myself as we have had over the past few days.

I would overcome what happened that I knew, but right now, I needed my space.

***

I couldn't move. It was as if I was being held down by thousands of hands, the weight of them all pushing me further into the mattress underneath my body. I could move my head, my mind racing with questions, fear coursing through my veins and I wondered what was happening to me. Where was I? Then, in an instant I watched as Caspian came toward me, a smirk found its way across his lips before he opened his mouth to speak, only, I had no idea what he was saying before he was taking off his shirt. Unbuttoning each button slowly and methodically before he pounced on top of me.

"No, no, please no. Not again!" I begged and it was in that moment that I screamed when I couldn't feel my wolf any longer.

Panic consumed me and I squeezed my eyes shut, wanting it to be over. Why couldn't I fight? Why was he doing this?

"Emilia!"

"No! Please, don't!" I screamed then I was jolted awake, my limbs tangled in the bed sheets as my heart thundered against my chest.

"It's okay, Emilia it was just a dream." Elijah said his voice calm despite the worry laced in his tone.

I was crying now, my sobs consuming me as I jumped into his arms feeling comfort as his arms encircled me. His wolf billowed over me, filling me with so much love and care I needed.

"You're safe now, Lia." He breathed, his voice a whisper and I nodded.

I knew he was right, but still, I needed time. Time to heal and time to learn who I was after everything that had happened. Apart of me wished it hadn't happened at all.

"I love you." I said, sniffling before burying my head back into the pillows.

"I love you too." He replied, kissing me softly on the back of my head and I sighed. My wolf finally beginning to relax with his closeness.

"Elijah?"

"What is it?" He asked, his voice sleepy.

"Will you stay with me?" I asked, my heart rate finally beginning to slow.

"Of course."

Then I was falling into the black abyss of sleep. No nightmares would plague my dreams tonight as I lay in Elijah's comforting embrace. I was home and exactly where I belonged. I was a Luna and will be with Elijah until the day we embraced the moon together and nothing and no-one would ever hurt us again. And as I fell to sleep, I felt finally at peace the entire world falling away until there was just Elijah and I, content in each other's arms after being apart. It was then that I realized I had never known true love until this very moment.