Nine

A sharp inhale and a long satisfying stretch later, I awoke to a comfortable silence before the beautiful sound of birds chirping swirled around me. What time was it? After hours and hours of love making I knew I would have been tired, but I never expected to sleep well throughout the night. Rolling over, I expected to see Elijah sleeping soundly beside me, but his bed was cold and the blankets were tossed in a heaping mess. Did he leave? Confused, I jumped out of bed, shivering at the change in temperature before I changed into a pair of clean clothes, eyeing the shredded t-shirt that lay at the foot of the bed. Padding into the kitchen, I smiled as I saw him cooking away, his back to me as the smell of bacon, eggs, and french toast filled my nose and my stomach growled in reply. I watched as Elijah turned around and smiled, "Good morning."

"Good morning," I paused to make my way beside him, "That looks good."

"I hope you like it."

"You didn't have to make breakfast. Why didn't you wake me? I could have helped."

"I know." He replied before flipping the strips of bacon sizzling in the pan, "But I figured you needed your sleep, especially after last night."

I nodded, "How are you?"

He grinned, "I should be asking you that."

I shrugged, "I'm sore, but I know what can help that." Then I winked.

"Oh I'm sure but I'm busy." He said then added, "But maybe after we can..."

I nodded, "Maybe we can but I was wondering..." I paused as my stomach growled again fiercely.

Elijah chuckled, "Why don't you sit down? Breakfast is almost done."

"Okay." I breathed before giving him a quick peck on the cheek and plopped down on the couch.

After a few minutes of waiting, Elijah came over with our plates piled high with food. I couldn't hold back my excitement as I squealed and wiggled excitedly.

"Calm down." Elijah laughed handing me my plate and I sat it happily on my lap, the warmth radiating against my skin.

"Thank you so much and I will not apologize that I love food." I replied before scooping up some eggs and shoving the fork in my mouth. God, it was amazing!

As I ate, Elijah sat next to me and started eating and a comfortable silence enveloped us. It was the first time in a long time that I had felt at peace, like I was exactly where I was meant to be, but I couldn't help but wonder what Elijah's pack was like. Would they be okay with a human for a Luna?

"Elijah?" I asked turning to him, his plate almost clean.

"Yes Emilia?" He inquired grinning before he saw how serious my face was, "What's wrong?"

"What do the members of your pack think of me?" I asked, biting my lip as I waited for his reply.

"I — well," he trailed off, "They think you're nice from what Clarissa has told them. And they're happy I have found my mate."

"But?" I pressed, impatiently.

"Well," he sighed, "they're unsure whether you will be safe." He explained, and all I could do was stare back at him.

Leaning over, I set my plate down on the coffee table before giving my full attention to the man sitting beside me, "What do you mean they're afraid for my safety?"

I watched as he looked away staring out the front window for a minute before turning back to me, his expression overwhelming in concern. "Emilia, you're human, and while I don't have a problem with it that does make you a target, especially to other packs. There are some who think the alpha line should be purely born wolves." He paused and I frowned.