Chapter 29

Previously on Chapter 28

I have to turn you in to my father, along with your brother. But some part of me are telling me not to, because I know you'd be killed... and I don't want to lose you. I shake my head, trying to erase it from my head. I let out a soft sigh and close my eyes, letting myself drift off to sleep.

-Training-

Y/N P.O.V

I wake up to the sunlight hitting my face. I squint my eyes, waiting for the to adjust from the light. I try to get up, but something is stopping me. I furrow my eyebrow in confusion.

I turn my head to see Zuko's face close to mine. My eyes widened in shock at the close proximity. "Z-Zuko..." I said. His eyes flutter open. His eyes widen when he notice the position we're in. He's basically being the big spoon, holding me close against his body.

He quickly moves away from me. "S-Sorry" he said. I shake my head and sit up. "It's fine..." I said, giving him a small smile. I turn my head to look at Iroh. I get up and walks over to him. I gently unwrap the bandage.

I gather some water again. I start to perform another healing session. I bend it closer to the wound on his chest, and start working on healing it. I feel Zuko's presence near me. I turn my head to see him sitting next to me.

Once I'm done with the water. I start to apply the herbal paste that I made yesterday. I start to gently bandage the wound again.

Once I'm done bandaging his wound. I can see his eyes slowly moving. I scoot back a little. His eyes slowly opens. Zuko moves closer to his uncle.

"Uncle, you were unconscious. Azula did this to you. It was a surprise attack" he said. Iroh let out a groan. "Somehow, that's not so surprising..." he said. He turns to look at me.

"What is she doing here?" He said, with a surprise face. "She's the one who healed you..." Zuko said, as hands Iroh some tea. He hands a cup to me as well. I smile as I thank him.

"I hope I made it the way you like it..." he said. Iroh take a sip from the cup. I can see him trying to hold back a gag. I bit my lips, trying not to laugh because I know the tea must have tasted bad.

"Good. That was very, uhh... bracing" he said. Zuko take the cup from him and pour some more tea into it. He turns to look at me. "Do you want some more, Y/N?" He asked. "No thanks... I still have some..." I said. He nods his head and turn to look at his uncle.

"So Uncle, I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her. I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her" he said.

"No, she's crazy, and she needs to go down. It's time to resume your training" he said. He try to stand up. I walk over to him and offers my hand. He place his hand on mine. I wrap his arm around my shoulder and gently help him to get up.

***

"Lightning is a pure form of firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. It is precise and deadly, like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind" Iroh said.

"I see. That's why we're drinking tea, to calm the mind" Zuko said. "Oh yeah, good point!" Iroh said, with an excited tone. I let out a soft giggle as I watch them from the ruined house.

"I mean, yes. There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang. Positive energy and negative energy. Only a select few firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance, and in a moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together, you provide release and guidance, creating lightning" he said. He steps up and creates lighting from his fingers. He shoots it away from us.

"I'm ready to try it!" Zuko said, looking excited and determination. I smile softly at his determination. I shake my head and lean my back against the wall. I wonder what Aang is up to. He should be starting the earth-bending lesson. But I'm going to have to stay for a few days until I'm sure Iroh is going to be okay.

"Remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide. Breathe first" Iroh instruct Zuko. Zuko takes a deep breath. He tries to generate the lighting. But instead of lighting. He creates explosion that throws him off. I let out a gasp as I look at him worriedly.

I can see frustration in his eyes. He let out a growl and stands up. He tries it again, only for him to get thrown back by another explosion.

"Why can't I do it? Instead of lightning it keeps exploding in my face ... like everything always does" he said. I slowly stand up and walks over to him. I kneel down next to him, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay, Zuko... you just have to keep trying..." I said, giving him a reassuring smile. He just smiles back at me. Iroh walks over to us and stands in front of Zuko with his hands behind his back.

"I was afraid this might happen. You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you" he said. "What turmoil?" Zuko said.

"Zuko, you must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away" Iroh said. "But I don't feel any shame at all. I'm as proud as ever" he said.

Iroh let out a sigh. "Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame" he said. "Well, my life has been nothing but humbling lately" Zuko said, looking away from his uncle.

"I have another idea. I will teach you a firebending move that even Azula doesn't know, because I made it up myself" Iroh said. Zuko turns to look Iroh with a smile. I smile at the way Iroh is trying to make him feel better. He's being like a true father to Zuko. The smile on my face turns into frown.

If only Zuko could see the ones that truly care for him. Zuko have been trying so hard to gain his father's love. The father who never cared for him. The one who truly does, is the man in front of him. But he's just too blind to see it.

I can't be the one to tell him, because he would just be angry with me. He needs to see it himself, for him to truly understand. I let out a sigh and lightly shake my head.

'Zuko is just too complicated' I thought to myself. I froze at the thought. I instantly remember what Aunt Wu said to me. The man I'm destined with will have a difficult personality... and I should be the one to show him the way. Could it be... Zuko?

*to be continued*