Chapter 34

Previously on Chapter 33

He wraps an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to his side. I close my eyes and hugs him back. I can't shake the feeling of longing in my heart. I miss Zuko. I wonder if he misses me too.

-The City Of Ba Sing Se-

Y/N P.O.V

"Back in the city. Great" Toph said, sarcastically. I can hear her sighing at the thought of being in the city again. "What's the problem? It's amazing!" Katara said, in excitement.

"It's just a bunch of walls and rules. You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days" she said. I nod my head at what she said. "Yeah... sounds boring to me. But well... what choice do we have? We have to look for Appa" I said.

"See even someone as discipline as Y/N thinks it's going to be a pain" Toph said. I just let out a soft giggle at her comment. She giggles along with me.

***

After a while, we finally come to a stop. Once we get off the train, we come face to face with a girl. She have a huge smile on her face. Which honestly, it kind of creeps me out.

Unconsciously, I scoot closer to the person next to me, which just happens to be Sokka. He turns to look at me. "Is there something wrong, Y/N?" He asked. "No... she just gives me the creep" I said. He let out a snort and shakes his head.

"Hello, my name is Joo Dee! I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatars around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, and Toph! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?" She said.

"Yes. We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately" Sokka said. But she seem to ignore what she said.

"Great! Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!" She said. I can tell that Sokka is getting annoyed by this. "Ugh!!" He let out. He slowly makes his way towards Joo Dee.

"Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the king about the War, it's important" he said. I can see him gritting his teeth in annoyance. "You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here" she said, smiling widely. Yep... she's creepy.

We are now inside a carriage. Joo Dee starts to tell us what is around. "This is the lower ring" she said. "What's that wall for?" Katara said, pointing at a certain one.

"Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls! There are the ones outside protecting us, and the ones inside, that help maintain order. This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively!" she said.

"You do want to watch your step, though" she said, out of no where. I furrow my eyebrow in confusion, why did she suddenly said that? I look around the place, trying to make out what she meant.

"Why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?" Katara said. "This is why Y/N and I never came here before. We always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live" my brother said. I nod my head in agreement. I let out a soft sigh.

"This is the Middle Ring of Ba Sing Se, home to the financial district, shops and restaurants, and the university" Joo Dee said. "Yeah, we met a professor from the Ba Sing Se University. He took us to an ancient underground library where we discovered information about the war that is absolutely crucial for the Earth King to hear!" Sokka said.

"Isn't history fascinating? Look, here's one of the oldest buildings in the Middle Ring, Town Hall!" Joo Dee said, completely ignoring us again. Sokka stares at her in annoyance. The carriage eventually stops. Joo Dee exits first.

"Is that woman deaf? She only seems to hear every other word I say" Sokka said. "It's called "being handled". Get used to it" Toph said.

Time-skip

After a long tour. We finally get the chance to look around the place to look for Appa. We head to a pet store. I think it's impossible for a pet shop to sell a giant flying bison.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't heard anything about a flying bison. I didn't even know there were any" the owner said. "If someone wanted to sell a stolen animal without anyone knowing, where would they go‌?" Aang said.

"Where's the black market? Who runs it? Come on, you know!" Sokka said, while pointing accusingly at the Pet Shop Owner. "Uh..." he said, nervously. He looks passed me. I turn my head to see Joo Dee. She stands behind us with the same wide-smile.

"That would be illegal. You'll have to leave now; your lemur is harassing my sparrowkeets" The Pet Shop Owner suddenly said. I narrow my eyes at him. He start to sweat nervously while staring at me. Joo Dee must have done something... or there is something seriously wrong about this place.

Everyone we asked keep ending up acting weird. It must have something to do with Joo Dee. I have a feeling that we won't get any lead if we let her follow us around.

We finally reach a house. We get out of the carriage. Joo Dee and the carriage drives off. "I don't know about you guys... but she gives me a serious creeps" I said. They nod their heads in agreement. I let out a sigh and turn around.

"Hey, come with me" Sokka said, gesturing us. He make his way across the street, towards a house. He lift his hand and start to knock on the door. The door opens to reveal a man.

"You're the Avatar! I heard you were in town. I'm Pong" he said. I just give him a small smile. "Nice to meet you, Pong" Aang said. Sokka take a step closer towards him.

"So, Pong, what's goin' on with this city? Why is everyone here so scared here to talk about the war?" He said. I can see nervousness and panic spreading on Pong's face.

"War? Scared? What do you mean?" He said. "I can feel you shaking..." Toph said. She sounds a little annoyed. Pong let out a sigh. "Look, I'm just a minor government official. I've waited three years to get this house. I don't want go get into trouble" he said.

"Get in trouble with who?!" Katara said. "Shh, listen, you can't mention the War here. And whatever you do, stay away from the Dai Li" he said. Then he just slams the door shut. I let out a sigh. We can't find Appa any time soon. So... looks like we're stuck here for a while. Might as well make the most of it.

*to be continued*