Chapter 14

Previously on Chapter 13

"The Avatars? Come with me" he said. He didn't wait for us to reply. He just turns around and walks away. Aang and I share a look. I shrug my shoulders and we just quietly follow the man. This is getting a lot weirder. Hopefully nothing bad will happen out of this.

-Foggy Swamp Tribe-

Y/N P.O.V

The man leads us to the giant tree Aang and I saw earlier. I have a strong feeling that this tree is the center of the swamp, perhaps the whole world. But I don't know for sure.

"So, who are you then?" Katara said, looking at the man in front of us. He turns to look at us. "I protect the swamp from people who wants to hurt it, like this fella with his big knife" he said, gesturing to Sokka. I turn to look at him with a crossed arms. He gulps and clear his throat.

"See, completely reasonable. Not a monster, just a regular guy defending his home. Nothing mythical about it" he said, finally putting his machete away. I roll my eyes at his comment.

"Oh, the swamp is a mythical place all right. It's sacred. I reached enlightenment right here under here under the banyan-grove tree. I heard it calling me, just like you did" he said. "Sure you did. It seems real chatty" Sokka said, mocking the man. I nudge his side, making him flinch.

"See this whole swamp is actually just one tree spread out over miles. Branches spread and sink, take root, and spread some more. One big, living organism. Just like the entire world" he said. That makes sense. The this tree is the largest around here. Of course, this is like the center... the heart of the whole swamp.

"I get that the tree is one big thing. But the whole world?" Aang said, sounding confused. "Sure. You think you're any different from me or your friends or this tree? If you listen hard enough, you can hear every living thing breathing together" he said. I close my eyes and focus on my hearing. He's right, I can hear everything breathing as one.

"You can feel everything growing. We're all living together, even if most folks don't act like it. We all have the same roots and we are all branches of the same tree" he said again. I nod my head, agreeing with him.

"But did our visions mean?" Katara said. "In the swamp, we see visions of people we've lost, people we loved, folks we think are gone. But the swamp tells us they're not. We're still connected to them. Time is an illusion and so is death" he said. I think about the vision I saw. Zuko... why did I see him? Do I... love him?

"But what about my vision? It was someone I had never met" Aang said. "And I saw someone who's our enemy..." I said. The man turns to look at Aang and I. "You're the Avatars. You tell me" he said. Aang thinks about it, trying to understand what he meant. "Time is an illusion. So, it's someone I will meet..." he said. The man nods his head.

I've met Zuko... and I hated him for everything he have done. Especially because he's the reason I lost my bison. But parts of me believed that Zuko do have good in his heart. But why did I saw him here. What does it mean??

"Sorry to interrupt the lesson, but we still need to find Appa and the lemurs" Sokka suddenly said. I turn to look at Aang. "I think we can find them. You try or I try?" I said. "I'll do it..." he said. He kneels down on the ground.

"Everything is connected..." he said, closing his eyes. I just stand where I am. I close my eyes and I can see what Aang sees. "Come on! We've got to hurry!!" He said.

***

"Appa!!" Aang yelled, sending air current. A man is thrown of a boat. I use my air-bending and free Momo and l/n from a sack. l/n flies towards me. "Are you okay, girl?" I asked. She licks my cheek. I smile and pat her head.

I jump out of the way as water shoots towards me. I place l/n on the tree branch. "Stay here, girl" I said. She chitters at me. I turn around just in time to see water moving towards me. I stop it and bend it back towards the guy.

"Hey, you guys are water-benders!" Katara said. "You too! That's mean we're kin!" The man said. Katara cringes at what he said. I just jump and land next to Aang. I outstretch my hand as l/n lands on my shoulder.

"Hey Huu. How you been?" He said, turning to look at the man that controls the vines. "You know, scare some folks, swung some vines, the usual" he said. "Huu?" Sokka said, in a questioning tone. He turns to look at me, as if I know. I just shrug my shoulders in respond.

Time-skip

We are now sitting around the fire. One of them stirs the water on a pot with water-bending. Due grabs a fish from the pot and place it close to the fire to let it cook.

"How you like that possum chicken?" Due asked. He looks at Sokka. "Tastes just like arctic chicken. So why were you guys so interested in eating Appa? You've got plenty of those big things wandering around" he said. He gesture towards a catgator who's chilling next to him.

"You want me to eat old Slim? He's like a member of the family" he said. He pulls the fish from the branch and feeds it to the catgator, who eats it happily. I just smile at the interaction. I turn to l/n who's sitting next to me, eating a bug. I lift my hand and start to caress her head.

Sokka throws a bug at the catgator. It bounces off his nose and he growls at Sokka, who flinch in fear. I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh, he don't eat no bugs... that's human food" Due said. "Where'd you say you was from?" Tho said. "The South Pole..." Katara said, smiling. She scowls at Sokka who's eating nonchalantly.

"Didn't know there was waterbenders anywhere but here. They got a nice swamp there, do they?" Tho said. Katara shakes her head at his question. "No, it's all ice and snow" she said. I've never been there to her tribe, since I met the group after they met Aang. "Hmm, no wonder you left" Tho asked.

"Well, I hope you realize now that nothing strange was going on here..." Sokka said. "Uh Huh... keep telling that to yourself" I said, rolling my eyes at his comment. He turns to me with a pout. I let out a soft giggle and cover my mouth.

"I'm serious! Look, I'm eating a giant bug!" He said, holding up a giant bug. He takes a bite out of the bug abdomen. He swallows it, but I can see his struggle. I shake my head at his antique.

"Y/N?" Aang said, waving his hand in front of me. I snap out of my thought and turn to look at him. "W-What?" I asked. "Are you okay? You zoned out a bit there" he said. "Oh yeah... I'm fine" I said, smiling at him. He hums and nods his head. He turns to look at Sokka.

"What about when the tree showed me when Appa and Momo were?" Aang said. Sokka gulps as he tries to stop gagging. "That's Avatars stuff, that doesn't count. The only thing I can't figure out is how you made that tornado that sucked us down?" He said, the last part to Huu.

"I can't do anything like that. I just bend the water in the plants" Huu said. Sokka stays silent for a bit after what he said. He scoffs and shakes his head. "Well, no accounting for weather. Still, there's absolutely nothing mysterious about the swamp" he said, still trying to deny the fact that something mythical is happening in this swamp.

But even so, I can't help but still feel a little weirded out about this Swamp. I wonder why do I see Zuko of all the people I know for as long as I've lived... why him? Just what does it means?

*to be continued*