Ch5: Sisterly Love

McGonagall: You're at Hogwarts...

We're at Hogwarts? That's right, I arrived in Dumbledore's office. As the memory comes flooding back I can't help the look of embarrassment that must show on my face. To think he had to see me in such a pathetic state. I'll also need to apologize for breaking into his office but if his initial reaction was anything to go by, he isn't mad with me...I hope.

Me: What happens now?

Pomfrey: Now you get some rest and they both leave you alone.

She all but breathes fire as she says the words in the most aggressive, threatening yet passive way possible. She's just shy of throwing insults and yet neither Valentina nor McGonagall challenges her any further.

McGonagall: Come, dear. Let's allow her to rest. We can visit her later.

She reaches to take Valentina's hand but Valentina herself soon collapses to the ground. Madam Pomfrey huffs and immediately begins calling it acting but I know better. Truth be told it's nothing short of a small miracle that she hadn't collapsed before I did. After all, she's only received a small amount of blood from me after spending centuries without anything.

Me: She needs to drink.

They both look at me and then back at the ever-whitening Valentina but I can tell neither is willing to do what is necessary. As they continue silently debating between them on who should go, I slip out of the bed. My feet buckle under my own weight but I force myself to stand with the aid of my hands before slowly making my way over to her side.

Pomfrey: You ca-

Me: It's okay.

Kneeling down beside Valentina, I press my wrist to her lips and flinch when her teeth bite into it but don't pull away. Still, the minute she begins drinking what little strength I had remaining all but gives out causing me to go drowsy. I manage to hold out long enough, however, until she finally opens her eyes and stops drinking.

As her eyes land on mine, they widen in shock and she bolts upright but I'm already falling towards the ground though the impact never comes as someone catches me from behind. 

McGonagall: You girls really love each other but giving your lives unnecessarily for one another is completely unacceptable. You both need to take better care of yourselves!

Valentina: I'm sorry...I-

Me: It's fine. I just need to...rest.

Madam Pomfrey sighs before ushering us both into bed. As I lie down, she turns to Minerva and begins talking to her about something. It takes all the effort I can spare but eventually, I'm able to overhear what they're saying.

Pomfrey: I should be told these things before-

McGonagall: I really thought you had already been told. I suppose we've all been so busy these last few days that we might have overlooked it but yes, the two girls are very special and will require special care.

Pomfrey: More special than having to provide one of them with a constant supply of blood?

McGonagall: I'm afraid so. We still have little knowledge of how being sustained by magic for over a thousand years has affected either of them but it is clear that the effects are catching up to them. Thankfully, it doesn't seem serious but I suspect this is only the beginning.

Pomfrey: So when they say she's the daughter of Salazar they really meant his literal daughter...

McGonagall: Yes. I understand some may think it means she's a descendant but I'm afraid she's the biological child of Slytherin.

Pomfrey: How am I supposed to treat her then?

Dumbledore: I trust in your talents, Madam Pomfrey.

Both: Dumbledore!

Dumbledore: How are they?

Pomfrey: They both need blood. One needs it because she's starving and the other because she gave hers to the one that's starving. Apart from that, I can't say. The only thing I'm certain of is that they both need rest.

Dumbledore: I see-

Pomfrey: Now can you explain what's going on here and why I wasn't informed that I had to tend to a thousand-year-old witch and a famished vampire?

Dumbledore: Walk with me.

Pomfrey: What?

A reply never comes. Instead, there's the sound of shuffling feet followed by the closing of a door. Sighing, I turn and find Valentina staring at me. Now that I'm not focusing on anything else, it's clear that she needs even more blood but as much as I'd give it to her my body feels locked in place from the shoulder down. 

Me: Are you feeling better?

Valentina: I...yes.

Me: That's good.

Valentina: You didn't have to put yourself at risk like that.

Me: I know.

Valentina: That was extremely dangerous.

Me: I know.

Valentina: You could have died!

Me: I know.

She sighs.

Valentina: Thank you.