Ch20: Darkness Stirs

Valentina's POV:

It's been three days since Cassandra lost consciousness and I haven't been able to get an ounce of sleep since then. The Minis...mother hasn't been able to sleep either, constantly pacing about the room refusing to eat anything but the bare necessity to keep her alive.

There are countless Aurors posted in and around the hospital as though she expects someone to try and take her precious child away but all they've managed to do is garner national attention. Dumbledore's tried reasoning with her more times than I can count but rational thought has so far eluded her grasp. 

Dumbledore: At least get something to eat.

Bagnold: I thought I made it clear-

????: Minister!

A new face comes rushing in, screaming at the top of his lungs.

????: The Sun!

Bagnold: What?

????: The Sun! It's going dark!

While he's yet speaking, another comes running.

????: Minister! The clouds, they're flashing black and green!

He's in between words when a third comes rushing in.

????: Minister, the symbol of He Who Must Not Be Named! It-it-it's back!

He points through the nearby windows at the ever-darkening surroundings and sure enough, an ominous smoky writing in the sky slowly forms into a skull with a snake coming out its mouth. Accompanying it are beings flying high in the sky. I have no idea who or what they are but the mere sight of them sees everyone reaching for their wands so I do the same.

Bagnold: Don't let them draw near!

Me: What are they?

Bagnold: Dementors! They feed off-

????: SCRRRRREEEEEEEE

A terrifying, earsplitting screech fills my ears forcing me to the ground in agony. I barely manage to recover before seeing a dark figure hovering above me. There's a flash of light which clears to reveal leaves, part of the understory of a forest. 

Sitting up, I look around but can't see any other living thing besides me and the trees.

Standing up, I'm hit by a sudden chill that burns to the bone. Using magic to heat the air around me, my vision is temporarily blocked by the vapours the heat meeting cold creates and by the time it clears, I'm not alone.

 Using magic to heat the air around me, my vision is temporarily blocked by the vapours the heat meeting cold creates and by the time it clears, I'm not alone

Me: Impello! Ignis! Vade et mori!

Bright flashes erupt from my wand as white light, followed by a fiery red and later a sickly green crackles through the rain before impacting the nearest foes. Two are immediately vanquished but more take their place.