Chapter 11

Edited:
Word Count: 1088

(Hopper's POV)

I opened my eyes slowly, trying to ease the burning headache that grew. When the memories of what happened last night filled my head, I jumped up, looking around.

I grabbed my gun and rushed outside to make sure no one was still there. But, I was alone.

Hold on...no I'm not.

"Marley!" I yelled, rushing back inside.

"Marley!" I screamed louder. Something familiar but old filled my veins as I rushed to her room, praying that she was inside, laying on her bed, reading weird poems and yelling at me to start knocking.

Humming a song always unknown to me. Must be from her time.

I burst through the door and realized that it was empty.

"No..." I sighed out.

Maybe she just stayed at the Byer's house.

I looked over at the phone and saw it dangling from its holder.

"Marley.." I said again. And then I thought to myself.

They must've taken her. But how would they know. Why would they?

Realization hit me and I rushed throughout the house, tearing everything apart, trying to find the object.

By the time I was done, several things were broken and I was on my last bulb in the living room. I used a ladder to fully reach it and ripped open the glass that protected the bulb.

Sure enough, in its gold glory, was a device used to listen to everything that was talked about in my home.

I fell to the ground and placed my hands on my head.

"No..no!" I screamed, slamming my foot on the chip, destroying it.

I knew what this feeling was now...

It was fear.

I dialed the familiar number on the phone, thinking that I should hang up and save myself the embarrassment. But I needed to hear her. She needed to hear me.

"Hello?" Her light voice called.

"Hey." I said softly.

"Jim?"

"Yeah." I heard her sigh.

"Why are you calling me here? I told you not to call me."

"I know, I just wanted to... I just wanted to hear your voice and,... I just want to say that,... Even after everything that happened, I don't... I don't regret any of it. Those seven years, they were... Everything to me." I admitted.

"Have you been drinking?" I clenched my jaw and turned to Marleys book that now laid on the floor.

"No. No, I haven't touched a bottle since Marley showed up." I chuckled.

"Who's Marley?" I mentally scolded myself, what if she hated me for moving on from Sarah. Worse..what if she didn't.

"My, uh, my kid. I took her in not too long ago. I didn't want to, you know...but she kind of just fell in my lap.." I laughed.

Literally.

"I'm happy for you Jim." She said gently, I could hear the smile in her face.

"Oh, Diane, you would love her. She's so kind, and she's smart and she makes me laugh. Marley is a good kid. Don't tell her but, uh.." I chuckled.

"The school called me yesterday and told me she made the cheer team. I was gonna wait until she got home because I knew how excited she was to tell me..." my voice broke at the end of my sentence and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Was? Jim, what-"

"You know what, actually, I have been drinking, sorry. Just take care of yourself OK?"

"Are you sure..." I hung up the phone quickly. Cursing for letting myself feel this way. For talking about Marley like she's dead.

I stood up, ready to put my hat on before the phone rang again. I grabbed it and was about to pull away the cord from the wall before the lights flickered.

Joyce said that the lights flickered when Will showed up. And I didn't believe her. Even after Marley told me to.

I rushed to grab the phone and I held it up to my ear. A low crackling was heard on the other end and my breath stopped.

"Hello?" I called. A muffled sob was heard from my other end, confirming my suspicions.

"Marley?" I called again, looking around to see what the lights were doing. Another sob was heard.

"Dad." She cried. The name made my heart shatter and I felt the tears welling in my eyes once again.

"Oh, god, Mar. What happened, where are you?" I said urgently.

"Dad.." she cried out.

"Dad, I'm with Will. Please...please help me." Her voice sounded distorted at the end of her sentence before the phone practically exploded in my hand.

"Shit!" I yelled loudly. I slammed the phone down and rushed out of the house to the Byer's place.

(Marleys POV)

Will and I were huddled in his hideout. We tried to distract ourselves as he explained the rules to DND.

"And you guys do this for fun?" I chuckled. He smiled softly and nodded.

"It sounds stupid but..."

"Not stupid. It sounds like you have to be a genius to understand it, though." I said, causing us both to giggle. A growl was heard from outside the fort and we both froze.

Will began to move around in panic but I pulled him into my chest and covered his mouth. The growling grew louder as the branches around us began to snap, signaling it was right outside.

I squeezed my eyes shut and rocked Will back and forth as I felt him quiver in sobs. Then, everything stopped.

We both froze, waiting to see if the coast was clear.

Suddenly, the fabric of the tent was ripped from over us, revealing the monster in the flesh. Well, rotting.

Will and I both screamed and I grabbed him by the arm before we rushed away. The destination of choice seemed to be the only place I felt safe, my house.

We both ran as fast as we could, but the monster was faster.

"Will!" I called, we continued to run but I knew he was listening.

"Do you know where the chief lives?" I asked.

"Yeah.." he yelled back shakily.

"Meet me there, I'll hold him off!"

"No! I won't leave you!" He cried.

"Go!" I screamed, quickly shoving my backpack in his hands but making sure to grab the weapon I brought.

I held the axe up as I turned around and saw the creature coming closer and closer.

"Come and get me, you dirty bastard!" I yelled loudly. Just as it opened its mouth, I swung.