Chapter 46

Edited:
Word count: 844

(Steve's POV)

"The ceiling stopped spinning for me. Is it still spinning for you?"

" Shit. No. I think we puked it all up?"

"Maybe. Ask me something. Interrogate me."

"OK. Interrogate you. Sure... When was the last time you peed your pants?"

"Today."

"What?

"When the Russian doctor took out the bone saw."

"Oh, my God."

"It was just a little bit though." She giggled.

" Yeah, it's definitely still in your system."

"All right, my turn."

"Hit me."

"Have you... Ever been in love?"

"Yep, Nancy wheeler. First semester of senior year."

I made a gunshot.

"Oh, my God she's such a priss.."

"Turns out, not really."

"Are you still in love with Nancy?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I think it's because I found someone who's a little bit better for me. It's crazy. Ever since Dustin got home, he's been saying, you know you gotta find your Suzie. I gotta find your Suzie."

"Wait, who Suzie?"

"It's some girl from camp, I guess, his girlfriend. To be honest with you, I'm not 100% sure she's even real. But that's not the point. That doesn't matter. The point is, this girl, you know the one that I like. It's somebody that I... Didn't even really think about in school about in school. And I don't even know why."

"Maybe because I had a girlfriend at the time. And even when I didn't, she always had me on the sidelines. It's stupid. I mean, Dustin's right it's just a bunch of bullshit anyways."

"Because I should've told her that I didn't want to be in a relationship with her and some other guy. I wanted it to just be me. I wanted her to be mine and only mine. But I was so afraid of losing her that I would've dealt with anything."

"She's hilarious. She's so funny. I feel like since she got here she made me laugh even more than I have in my entire life. She's really smart. A lot smarter than me. You know, not just Booksmart but streetsmart. She knows who she wants to hang out with but she also knew that status meant everything so she became a cheerleader. She's not like anybody's ever met for."

Robin didn't say anything.

"Robin, did you just OD in there?"

"No. I... I'm still alive." She muttered. I furrowed my eyebrows and crawled under my stall and to her.

"This floor is disgusting." She joked.

"Yeah,well I already got a bunch of blood and puke on my shirt. So what do we think?"

"About?"

"This girl."

"She sounds awesome."

"She is awesome." Robin frowned and looked down at her hands.

"Steve, If you really knew me you wouldn't want to be my friend.." She whispered.

"That's not true.." I said, looking at her.

"Yes..it is..because when I tell you this, you're going to hate me." She sighed, shaking her head.

"Tell me what?" I asked.

"Do you know what I say about Mrs. Click's class? About me being jealous and like obsessed?"

"Yeah..."

"It isn't because I have a crush on you. Because... She wouldn't stop staring at you."

"Mrs. Click?"

"Marley."

"I wanted her to look at me. But... She couldn't pull her eyes away from you and your stupid hair. And I didn't understand, because you would get bagel crumbs all over the floor. And you ask dumb questions. And you were a douche bag. And you didn't even like her and... I would go home... and just screamed in my pillow."

"But Marley is a girl." I deadpanned.

"Steve."

"Yeah?" Then it hit me.

"Oh."

"Oh."

"Holy shit."

"Yeah...Holy shit."

"Steve... Did you ever OD over there?"

"No, just,... Just thinking."

"OK."

"Yeah I see where you're coming from. Marley is... Well, she's amazing. But..why her? Out of everyone..."

"Because she was nice to me. She'd offer notes if she saw I wasn't there that day or ask if I wanted to sit with her at lunch. She didn't care who people saw her with. She...she just lived."

"When I found out that you guys were moving in together I was so pissed. I went home and cried and didn't even come into work the next day because I couldn't see her with you. Happy...she was happy.."

Then it hit me. I started laughing loudly. Robins eyes shot to me and she looked slightly offended.

"That's funny?" She asked. I settled down my laughter enough to make out a sentence.

"She already knew." I chuckled. Robin still looked at me confused.

"She already knew about you. Marley is special, she knows things about the future that everyone else doesn't. You don't have to believe me but she'd explain it better." I sighed.

"So..."

"She already knew you liked her." I finished. Robins eyes widened and she covered her mouth.

"Oh, my god."

"But she knew and she didn't treat you any differently. She still loved you." I said, looking at her.

"Why?" She sighed.

"Because that's just how Marley is."