Chapter 64

Edited:
Word Count: 1024

"Dude, I'm telling you, you're taking it the wrong way." Steve sighed as we trudged through the woods.

"It's not. I'm positive. I checked the map." Dustin argued.

"Do you realize skull rock, it's like a super popular Makeout spot."

"Yeah. So?"

"Yeah, well, it wasn't popular until I made it popular." Steve bragged, grabbing my hands to help me off a rock.

"Right? You practically invented it." I said sarcastically. Steve smiled and kissed my cheek.

"We're heading in the wrong direction." He said again. Then, Steve pulled me along the other way.

"Steve. Where are you going?" Dustin asked.

"Stop whining. Let's go. Trust me." Dustin huffed in annoyance but still followed us.

"So, Marley. I've been meaning to ask you something.." Steve said slowly. I looked at him with a quirked eyebrow.

"No, I'm not mad that you took other girls here just like you did me." I joked. Steve smiled but shook his head.

"No, that's not it.." He said slowly.

"I, uh, I just wanted to ask you, you know, when everything is over, If you, uh, might want to-" I turned my head and saw the big rock ahead.

"There it is! Skull rock." I called. When I looked at Steve again he was smiling at me.

"What were you saying?" I asked.

"Nothing..I'll talk to you about it later." I simply nodded.

"In your face, man. In you're stupid, cocky little face." Steve said to Dustin.

"Doesn't make sense." Dustin whispered, looking at his compass.

"Yeah, yeah. Even with it staring at you in the face, you can't admit it. You're wrong, you Butthead." Steve bragged.

A loud thud was heard behind me and I turned to see Eddie standing behind us.

"I concur. You, Dustin Henderson are a... Total Butthead." I smiled as Dustin rushed forward to hug him.

"Jesus, we thought you were goner." He sighed. It took Eddie a minute to hug him back, but when he did, I saw him smile.

"Yeah, me too, man. Me too." Then, I went forward and grabbed Eddie in a hug. He laughed and jerked me around quickly, making me laugh as well.

"When I got to the shore, I tried calling you guys, but... My walkie was busted, man. Drenched. So I did the thing that I do now, apparently. I ran." Eddie explained.

"Do you know what time this was? The attack?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah, no, I know exactly what time it was. My walkie wasnt the only thing that's soaked." He tossed her his watch.

"9:27." Nancy read off.

"The same time our flashlights went kabuki." Robin said.

"Which means what, exactly?" Steve questioned.

"That that surge of energy was Vecna attacking Patrick." I said, looking at him.

"Well, we're one step closer. We know how Vecna attacks."

"And where he attacks from."

"So now we just need to sneak into his lair in the upside down and drive a stake through his heart." Max shrugged.

"If even has a heart."

"A stake? Is he like a vamp? Is he a vampire?" Steve asked seriously. I sighed and touched his shoulder.

"It was a metaphor." I said.

"A bullet should work on him, right?" Eddie asked.

"I was thinking we chop his head off." Lucas added.

"I think we should do All of the above, but we can't do any of that until we find a way into the upside down."

"We need El to get her powers back. Everything was like way easier."

"We had this girl. She had to powers." Steve explained again.

"Superpowers. Yeah, he mentioned her....Hey, uh, Hendersons not, cursed, is he?" We all looked to see Dustin pacing back and forth.

"Cursed? No, he's fine. Mental? Absolutely." Steve mumbled.

"Boom!" He screamed, making us all jump.

"Bada... Bada... Boom. I was right. Skull rock was north." Dustin smiled.

"Seriously? You're serious? This is Skull rock. Okay? You're totally, absolutely, hundred percent wrong. Right now." Steve said sternly.

"Yes. And no."

"Oh, my God." Steve sighed, placing his forehead on my shoulder.

"This compass worked correctly when we left the wheelers. It was correct when we got in the car on curly. But it sort of slipped the further east we went. Now it's way off. When I was letting us here, I wasn't wrong. The compass was."

"You're using faulty equipment. You're still wrong." Steve said, throwing his hands up.

"No, I know exactly what he's talking about. Whenever there's a stronger electromagnetic field, the needle points in that direction. It would explain why the magnets fell when the mind flayer was acting up again. It'll make sense." Dustin touched his nose with one hand and pointed to me with the other.

"So there is either some super big magnet around here, or..."

"There's a gate." Lucas said slowly.

"But we're nowhere near the lab." Nancy pointed out.

"We don't have to be near the lab, remember? You said that you entered through the upside down from the inside of a tree. El, said she escaped through one in the school. It doesn't have to be near the lab it just has to be where the upside down was ripped open." I explained.

"How? Why?"

"No idea. All I know is that something is causing this disturbance, and the last time we've seen anything like it, it was a gate. And I hope it is because we've got to find a way to find Vecna. And a shot freeing Marley from the curse." Dustin added before starting to walk off.

"Where are you going?" Steve questioned.

"Eddie is still a wanted man. We can just hike in the woods."

"This little steel capsule might be the key to saving both Marley and Eddie. What say you, Eddie the banished?"

Everyone turns to face him for his answer.

"I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think it's a really bad idea. But, the shire... The shire is burning."

"Lord of the rings talk." I explained to everyone else.

"So Mordor it is." Eddie sighed.