Chapter 40

Edited:
Word Count: 1147

As I walked through up to the pool, I kept my head down. Trying to shake the feeling that something wasn't right.

Someone brushed past my shoulder as I entered the building, going into the employee room where my purse was seen last.

I looked in my locker but didn't see it. I cursed to myself mentally and looked around. The black fabric caught my eyes and I walked up to the locker.

I opened it slowly and grabbed my purse out. My head turned to see who's locker it was in. When I saw the name 'Billy' on the top of it, I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"What the hell." I mumbled. I quickly walked out and towards the door again.

"Billy.." I heard a voice call. I froze and turned to look at the room next to me. The chemical room. I shivered as the familiar voice echoed in my head.

Then, a scream filled my ears. I jumped and rushed towards the noise. It brought me to the showers. When I ripped open each and every curtain, I saw that no one was there with me.

I huffed in annoyance and finally walked out of the building.

I thought about last night with Billy.

"Scoot over, fatass." I huffed as I pushed Billy more into the left side of his car hood. Billy and I had snuck out to Lover Lake after a bad night with his dad.

"You like my ass." He teased. I rolled my eyes playfully and looked up at the stars.

"Oh! I almost forgot. I have something for you." I smiled, grabbing my bag from beside me and pulling out my photo album.

"I already saw your couple photos with Steve, I don't need to see them again." He whined. I laughed and opened it to the page I was referring to.

Billy leaned up and took the album from me. I watched his face as he looked at the picture, a small smile forming on his lips.

It was the one where I was smiling and he was sticking his tongue out at the camera. Then, he turned the page and physically froze when he saw the picture of us kissing.

He was smiling into the kiss while my hand laid gently on his cheek, a bruise on his face can be seen between my fingers.

Billy smiled again and turned to me.

"You feel better now? You have pictures in the album too." I teased. He looked between my eyes, his smile still evident.

Then, he leaned forward slightly, gently placing a kiss on my lips. Billy and I stayed there for a minute, enjoying the feeling on each other's lips before he pulled away.

His eyes scanned my face before they landed on the scar of my hairline. Instinctively, my hand came up and covered it.

Billy's eyebrows furrowed before he reached up and pulled my hand away.

"What happened?" He asked. I frowned and turned to lay on my back.

"My dad hit me with a rock." I chuckled dryly.

"Why?" I looked down at my hands and started picking at the chipped polish.

"My mom was heavy into drugs. She would make this drug all the time, I'm still not sure how she did it, I was pretty young at the time, eleven maybe. She went into the next room to get something and I walked in. I thought she was just making some kind of food so I started touching some stuff." I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut.

"I ended up dropping a bottle on the floor. I panicked, figured I was going to get beat and replaced the spilled powder with something else and left to do something with my dad. When we came back home the house was blown in half and on fire. She died instantly. When I cried to my dad about it, he hit me. Got me real good in the eye. I ran off into the woods and he chased me. Hit me with a rock and left me there to "learn a lesson." He said."

When I was done we were both silent. I didn't know how I wanted Billy to react, or if I wanted him to react at all.

I heard Billy shuffle before he sat up and took off his jacket, reveal the scars on his shoulders. I sat up as well to see them better.

"Can I?..." referring to his scars. Billy turned his head to the side before swallowing harshly and nodding.

The first one I touched was one on his right shoulder.

"I left the stove on after I cooked something." He informed. I hesitated, checking to see if he was still okay. I moved over and looked at one on his neck, one I had noticed before.

I touched it softly.

"Forgot to take the trash out." I nodded and turned his head to look at me, touching the one on his chin.

"I left to see you in the hospital." I pulled my hand away, looking into his eyes deeply, scanning every freckle and piece of color that painted his eyes.

"I have something for you too." Billy said, looking back into my eyes. He put his hands to the back of his neck before unclamping his necklace.

"This used to be my moms. She gave it to me before she left.." He said, holding the piece of jewelry in his hands.

"I want you to have it." I opened my mouth to speak but he was already clasping it on to my neck. I moved my hair so it was easier for him. It made a small sound against the necklace that I already wore.

"Since when did you have that?" Billy asked. I looked down and saw the crystal necklace on my neck.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I've had this on since I was eleven, Billy. I've never taken it off." I chuckled. He stared at the necklace and hummed.

I looked down as he pulled his hands back and to the small medallion on the bottom of the chain. That he had just given me.

"Protects against sudden death." Billy said, smiling. I frowned, thinking about what was to come. I watched Billy's face as he stared at the medallion.

"Here." I said, I touched the chain of my crystal necklace and unclasped it before putting it around Billy's neck.

"It used to be a clear crystal but I must've burned it somehow." I shrugged. He smiled and looked down at the necklace like I had just done.

It was half the truth. I hadn't noticed that it turned black until after the whole shadow monster problem six months ago.

I just figured that it was somehow burned in the process.

"Now we're both protected." I chuckled.