Chapter 13.5

"Hold your gun straight!"

"Y-Yessir!"

"The hell did I say? I said straight!"

"B-But I am holding it—"

Thwack

"Don't talk back son! You're all here tasked, here to fight for your country! Here to serve your homeland. You're here because you all lack purpose in life."

...

"Hmm. Very good. Next."

"Next."

"Next."

"Next."

...

"Hmm...? Quite impressive."

"Thank you, sir."

"What's your number, kid?"

"0273."

As he looked at the man walk away, he simply blanked out. Holding the rifle in position still.

Child Soldiers. Children of the same age as him, nobodies, orphans, picked up and taken. It's not like they'd be missed, just like him, everyone else around him... were nameless.

Children abandoned at birth and thrown into the orphanage. At most, once old enough, they've been thrown out to fend for themselves. Children like him, who have no identities, were taken off the streets by the military and forced to endure hardships of training while also being taught to ensure they know. Names? No. Instead, what they harbor are numbers. Each and single one of them is a number.

"The Punishing Virus." The sergeant yelled. "A cybernetic pathogen, a virus of sorts that's able to inflict infection to both humans and machines. Do you know what happens to humans if caught with the virus?" The Sergeant called out.

Deliberately, he raised his hand into the air.

"0273 state your answer!"

"When a human gets infected by the virus, the cellular structure breaks down, this causes humans to die quickly once infected. The only way to survive is in areas with low atmospheric viral concentrations alongside the aid of the specially-designed serum which protects the people from infection."

...

The rest of the children looked on at 0273 with awe. Everyone looked baffled at the quiet and stoic boy, even the Sergeant looked on, grinning.

"Well, well, maybe you kids ain't a lost cause after all." The Sergeant laughed. "Yes, that is correct 0273, now what happens to machines when infected?"

"Machines on the other hand have their logic circuits be overruled by the virus, in the process of the virus taking over, machines are reprogrammed to become mindless monsters, beasts whose only objective is to erase the human consciousness."

"Yes. That is correct. The Punishing Virus is dangerous, and at most, terrifying. World organizations crumbled, war broke out, outbreaks and panic bursts, and many died. The Punishing Virus has overtaken most of Earth, and if not stopped, if not the Corrupted being defeated, will also destroy all of what's left of mankind. You all will become defenders and protects, fighting for your country and doing your best, your utmost best at eradicating the threats of mankind."

-~-

"You were awesome back there 0273!"

"Yeah man, like seriously dude, I didn't understand anything of what you were saying!"