Chapter 36

"There was a catch for that dinner we had, wasn't there?"

"You catch on quickly. To answer your question, there was indeed a catch."

"..."

"You won't deny my request now would you?"

"Uh-huh..." He grew concerned. "That depends on the type of request it is."

"..."

"Vanessa?"

"Heh." Vanessa grinned at the Captain who gulps nervously.

I am not liking where this is going... Was his last thought as he closed his eyes and prayed.

-~-

"Thanks for the help today. Honestly, who do they think they are sometimes? Just because I'm the Chief Commandant doesn't mean all the work should be shoved onto mean..."

"You sure have it rough, I thought I had it rough but I was wrong." He handed over the stacks of paper to Vanessa as his mind still couldn't process what just happened. "You know, if you wanted me to help with your work, you could've just asked instead of making it a catch from dinner earlier."

"But where's the fun in that? There would've been no fun asking you. We had fun when we had dinner, didn't we?" Vanessa asked with her usual grin remaining.

"Fair enough..." He couldn't help but agree. He did have fun... Even so, he thought back to how cunning and mischievous Vanessa acted earlier when he realized there was a catch. He expected "something" else for a moment and his heart raced at the thought. Despite all of this, he can't help but close his eyes tiredly. Why do I feel so disappointed?

"Oi. What's with the depressing aura around you?" Vanessa stared at the Commandant who seemed to be sulking quite a bit.

"It's nothing..." The Commandant replied shortly.

This guy really is something... Vanessa sweat dropped. This is the same person she considers a rival of sorts...and even more...

"I'll be heading off then—"

"Hold on."

Figured this wouldn't end so soon... The Commandant sighs. "What now—"

"Go turn those papers in for me will you?"

"..." He numbly grabbed the papers that were shoved into his chest. "Seriously...? Why not do it yourself?"

"You're closer to the door anyway."

"... Bruh." He deadpanned at Vanessa who was not that far away from the door herself.

"Now be a good boy and head on out. The person who'll be collecting them is associated with the Supervisory Institute. You better be professional alright? You'll know who she is when you see her. She stands out from others with her pink hair alongside wearing a white uniform—"

"Hold on, I'm not your dog—"

"I will give you a special reward tonight—"

"I'm on my way ma'am! WOOF!" He ran out the door as Vanessa looked amused.

"Honestly...he's very fun to mess with." Vanessa chuckled as she remained standing in the center of the room. "I'll make sure to reward him alright~" She licked her lips. A promise is a promise—

*CLANG* *CLANG **CLANG*

"?!" Vanessa blinked as she looked up at the vents. "Is someone crawling in the vents—"

*CLANG*

"..."

"..."

"Hey." Vera hung upside down and stared at Vanessa.