Chapter 26

"Where's the Commandant at?"

"H-He's not here ma'am."

"No shit dumbass! That's why I'm asking where he's at!"

Vanessa slammed her fist on the table with annoyance as she sighs.

"Just as useless as those Constructs..." Vanessa mumbled as she grabbed the portfolio and waves it around. "Seriously, we can't start the meeting without all the Commandants here. If he doesn't show up we'll have to do this without him."

"Speaking of him... He's here now." Whispered one of the fellow Commandants to Vanessa who raised a brow and looked at the door.

The door opened to reveal the Commandant with his outfit completely messy. His hair was not combed. Hair strands were all over the place. The man had a tired expression as he wordlessly sat down. But one thing she noticed was that he seemed to be completely out of balance, not being able to walk straight without shaking a bit.

"You're late." Vanessa bluntly said to the Commandant.

"Just explain what this meeting is about..." The Commandant replied with a raspy voice as he didn't bother to look at her.

"..." Vanessa blinked with surprise before noticing everyone looking at her. They waited for her to start the meeting. She coughed into her fist and glanced at the Commandant. She eyed him quickly and her eyes caught something. His neck looked slightly bruised...

Huh?

-~-

"And that concludes today's meeting. Everyone is free to enjoy themselves with the food and drinks left out. In act of celebration once again for all your hard work." Vanessa sarcastically said yet everyone around her cheered and smiled at one another.

A celebration party happens each week. In celebration of continuing to work hard and fulfill their missions. The commandants celebrate their glory in the process.

"Commandant. I have a word to speak with you." Vanessa stopped the Commandant from leaving as soon as she saw the man try and get up like everyone else.

"..." The Commandant followed after Vanessa as they reached a secluded area away from everyone else. "You're gonna ask why I'm late."

"I'm gonna ask why you're late indeed." Vanessa nodded at the man. "More importantly... You. Look. Like. A. Corpse." Her eyes wondered at his worn-out expression.

"Can... we please not talk about it?" The Commandant said. "You don't know how much I've been through yesterday..."

"... Yesterday...?"

"..." The Commandant looked away from Vanessa as he pulled on his collar as his face had a shade of pink on them.

"Hahhh? You got bike marks all over your neck!"

"W-Woah!" The Commandant got pulled by Vanessa as she looked at his neck closely. Her eyes widened as she finally realized.

"... Someone has been busy haven't they?" Vanessa smiled with a glare as she whispered to the Commandant. The man froze as he felt chills go down his spine. "Who was it?"

"U-Um—"

"Who." Vanessa blinked with a cold smile. "Answer my question like the subordinate you are."

"It's a secret." The Commandant mumbled.

"... Does it have to do... with a Construct I wonder?"

"..."

Jackpot.

Vanessa continued her hold on the Commandant as she gripped his collar and smiled. "My... So you had your way with one of them didn't you?"