Chapter 42

"..."

"..."

He woke up with his back resting against a tree. However, what he saw when his vision adjusted was something he didn't expect. However, looking at the face that stared at him, he smiled sadly as he knew what she was feeling currently.

"Sorry... I must've worried you, huh?" He spoke after a long pause of silence between the two. He saw the teary expression on Lucia's face as she latched onto him after he finished speaking. He smiled as he hugged her back. "Again, sorry. I didn't expect to be kidnapped."

"Y-You're safe." Lucia muttered as she dug her face deeper into the man, hugging him tighter as she didn't want to let go.

"I am indeed." The Commandant said with a joyful tone to ease Lucia's worries.

"We thought we lost you."

"I know." The Commandant weakly pulled Lucia back so she could stare at him. He wiped the few tears running down her face with his hand. "Even if what just happened right now scared you, I still kept my promise right?"

"..."

"I'm perfectly fine like I told you."

"Commandant."

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions about what exactly happened." The Commandant wondered how he should explain everything. He's sure that what he's gonna say is gonna cause her to panic. "First, tell me, were you sent alone to find me?"

"We figured it was the best option...all of us would've gone ahead but we couldn't because we had a mission to do as much as I dislike it." Lucia said with a frown. "Lee is taking my place as well. He's doing his best to uphold our position. A few enemies have gotten near the shelter. Luckily Nanami is there alongside a few of the other constructs who aren't injured."

"Let's return then. We can't let Lee do all the work."

"You will explain to me what happened along the way."

"R-Right." He was planning to do that anyway. There was no need for that serious face of hers. "By the way...how long did it take you to find me?"

"About an hour running." Lucia answered.

Just how far did they take me? The Commandant thought with wary. Given what Lucia said, Lee must be tired out at this point.

-~-

Throughout their journey back to the shelter. The Commandant explained everything that happened to him. From the encounter with the twins on his way to the shelter, to the fact that they were toying with him, to getting knocked out. He told Lucia all that happened.

That's how things led to Lucia carrying him so that they could arrive back faster. He is held tightly and very close to her. He still recalls how her eyes dilated like saucers as soon as he mentioned his kidnappers being the unidentified twins.

"We finally made it." Lucia's words caused him to snap out of his thoughts.

"Phew...thank god." The Commandant looked at the shelter which came into view. "And thanks again for carrying me all the way."

"It's my pleasure."

"..."

"..."

"You can let me go now."

"O-Oh right." Lucia blinked as her face reddened as she gently put the man down. "You should stay inside the shelter while I help Lee, Commandant." They hear the distant sound of gunfire.

"That must be the others fighting the Hetero-Creatures who are getting near." The Commandant looked at the shelter door and then toward Lucia. "I'll count on you guys to continue fighting until everyone is treated properly."