Chapter 11

"Status check?"

"It's not looking good right now... We're surrounded." Commandant looked on depressingly. "I wonder if my bad luck attracts the Corrupted."

"Nonsense. We just happen to be very unlucky. I suggest you stay nearby so you won't get targeted." Watanabe said who slashed at an enemy.

"Can't you see I'm trying man?!" Commandant panicked. "Come on, why is it whenever we're on an errand run, bad things always happen?! Damnit, for some reason being her errand boy scares me."

"Well, Akdilek's Queen is a scary one, although quite powerless as she may be, she can put up a scary face when needed." Watanabe muttered towards the man. He flipped his dual weapons in the air, gripping the handles as he then zoomed on ahead at the Corrupted. He dodged out the way at one of the sniper's shots, time slowed in the process. The next thing that happened was instant.

"Matrix mode truly is something..." Commandant sweats as he saw some of the Corrupted instantly defeated and Watanabe back by him. "Way to go! I'm sure we can win this—"

"No. I'm afraid we'll have to retreat." Watanabe said sternly.

"Huh? Why—"

"Because there's more coming." Watanabe looked up ahead.

"Where are they coming from? It's like a hoard of Corrupted..." Commandant frowned at the sight of the huge hoard heading their way. "We're falling back."

"Right."

"W-Woah!" Commandant yelped as his hand was grabbed by Watanabe. The Construct simply turned around and began running with speed, dragging the Commandant who feels his legs burning by the speed.

"Dammit. I should have taken my Physical Exercise more seriously. No wonder I always did horrible in PE in my school days."

"..."

"You're not gonna ask why?!" Commandant told Watanabe.

"Currently trying to save the both of us at the moment. Besides... You were a slacker, weren't you?"

"G-Guh... Yeah." Commandant said flustered. "Wait... How'd you know?"

"Your medical records... Besides, you're even more unfit due to your illness. Speaking of which... How are you feeling?"

"So far so good. I made sure to take medication before we ran this errand ehe~"

"That's good at least..." Watanabe mumbled as they continued to run. "!"

"Why'd you stop?" Commandant asked surprised.

"That's why." Watanabe frowned.

"It's that creep..." Commandant frowned.

"Your words but wound me, human Commandant." Roland smiled, the man leaped from the building and landed in front of both the Commandant and Watanabe. "Fancy seeing the both of you here."

"Were you the one who brought the hoard?" Commandant asked.

"Stand back." Watanabe put his arm out to the side where the Commandant was. "Your safety is the top priority. Don't get close..."

"My, my... Such hostility." Roland said amused, the Ascendant kept his usual smile as he looked at them both.

"Can you blame us? I mean you're an Ascendant. And most of the time, you try and kill us... Then again, Alpha and Luna are with us..." Commandant coughed into his hand. "What is it that you want?"

"What do I want?" Roland blinked. "Oh no, you've got it all wrong. It truly was a coincidence that we met."

"... Wait. So you're not here to fight us?" Commandant asked, still on edge.