Chapter 46

Demi

The screams. I had no idea if it was only in my head or if my mate really was screaming in agony. It was driving me insane bit by bit. I knew I had to focus if I was to plan a rescue mission, but my mind was consumed with worry.

I had barely managed to make it out alive. Erik had taunted me. The memories hit me again. He was playing mind games.

"Surprised? Good. I pride myself on being able to pull off the element of surprise." He had stated nonchalantly as if he was merely discussing the weather.

I wouldn't have hesitated if it were anyone else, but the fact that my sibling who I trusted without question had been playing me all this time put me in shock. Luckily for me, Lana had given me her pendant before we arrived, in case the place was warded against vampire magic. It was a risky move, but it allowed her to project her magic through me. I remembered that if my magic was blocked here, Erik's would be too.

As inconspicuously as I could, I removed my hand to touch the pendant, sending a message to Lana and allowing her to see the situation from my eyes. She only took seconds to respond. As soon as Erik turned around, I was teleported out.

I blinked several times to see that I was standing by a tree, about 100 feet from the cabin. "Little sh*t." Lana muttered, reaching to take the pendant from around my neck. "I'm going in with you, and I'm going to need my own magic."

"Lana you can't-"

"I'll be damned if I let my sister in law stay in their hands. Now where are the others?"

I froze. "Still guarding the perimeter. I'll go get them."

"No, let me. If they see you, we're done for. I don't know how far the reach of their spell is. It may block your magic even if you're outside." Lana glanced at me for a moment. "Stay here." She said sternly as I was hit by another headache suddenly and instinctively grabbed my head.

It took every ounce of self control to not go after her, but the intensity of the headache had increased, even to the degree that it made my vision fuzzy. I didn't understand what was going on at all.

"Demi!" The sounds of Ayla's concerned tone made me look up. She and the others had gathered by me already without me noticing. This was bad. Even my senses and spatial awareness had been affected. "Lana filled us in. Little bastard." Ayla gritted her teeth as Jericho rubbed her shoulders comfortingly. "How did we not see this coming?!"

"Well, Ay, we haven't seen him for the last several decades." Sterling rolled his eyes. "But what's your plan now?" He turned to me.

Another wave of pain hit me hard and I clutched my head in my hands. "Demi, are you alright??" Lana looked at me in concern.

"I-I don't know..." I said in uncertainty. "I've been getting these strange headaches since we got here. They're affecting my senses too...and even my awareness." I admitted.

"Demi... " Lana's eyes widened. "It's probably not safe for you to go back in then, what if you-"

I cut her off. "That's not up for debate. My little girl is in there. If I could just figure out what's causing-"

"Do you feel your head buzzing? And then like it's splitting open? Almost like an invasive attack?" Davina suddenly spoke, surprising me. She hadn't said a word to any of us tonight. I nodded wordlessly, leaning slightly on Lana, which I knew wasn't helping my case.

"It's Erik. His powers allow him to peer inside minds. If he tries to go too far, it hurts like a b*tch." I  was curious about how she knew that, but refrained from asking. "He tried it on me once...when we used to date." She added in a quiet voice.