Chapter 49

Elliana

When Angie threw me at Lana, I froze, not knowing how to react. Before I could think much of it, I was promptly grabbed and pushed out of the way. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Demi rush to me as Erik lunged at her from the side.

"Demi, watch out!" I screamed. Lana reacted promptly and sent him stumbling backwards with a magical barrier.

"You." The chilling fury in Madame Cairstine's tone drew my attention and I instantly turned in her direction. By this point, Demi and Lana each had one of my arms in their grip and had pulled me back a safe distance.

Madame Cairstine glared unblinkingly at her daughter, her expression giving away no hurt at the betrayal but just pure fury. Angie, to her credit, did not falter under the glare. She stared blankly at her mother. "Traitor."

"I'm not a traitor. Our purpose all along was to end her." She flung her finger up towards my mate and I instinctively moved closer to her. "Elliana was just bait. You don't need to kill her." Although Angie tried to sound calm, the waver in her voice was audible. Meanwhile, out of my side vision, I could see Sterling, Avan, and Americk disappearing from view.

I didn't have much time to wonder what they were doing as a loud gasp interrupted my thoughts. I glanced just in time to see Cairstine wrap a thin, blue ring of light around Angie's neck. Angie gasped and her hands flew to her neck. Adriana took an step forwards only to be stopped by Jericho.

"Y-you said you weren't going to kill her! She's innocent in all of this." Angie choked out as Erik rushed to her side.

Cairstine's eyes flashed. "I need not explain myself to you. No human is fully innocent. She's seen too much. To get rid of a problem, you have to take out its roots. All of them." She snapped before looking at us. "They all have to die." Demi tensed up at that.

Angie's face had paled significantly. "And you'll be the first." With seemingly no hesitation, Cairstine flicked her wrist, causing the blue ring of light to tighten impossibly, causing Angie to fall to the floor.

"Angie!" Erik fell to the ground beside his mate. He tried to touch her neck but hissed as the light made contact with his skin.

"Get away from her, stupid boy." Cairstine hissed and flung him back, restraining him to the floor. "I said all of her turned ones have to die. You'll be next."

Erik glared back with a mixture of anger, betrayal, and pure hatred. "Elliana-" Angie let out a choked gasp and I turned to stare at her on the ground, my body shaking violently. "I-I'm s-sor-" Cairstine flicked her wrist again and her own daughter fell forwards, not moving again.

I let out a harsh cry and Lana quickly shoved me behind Demi to block my line of sight. Erik cried out in an ear-splitting sound, managing to free himself of the barrier and flung himself at Cairstine. She easily forced him backwards with a wall of green light.

I almost missed it, but I saw Demi nod her head the slightest bit. One masked man that was standing behind Cairstine grabbed her and moved so quickly I didn't notice him stab her in the shoulder. It would have gone through her heart if she hadn't turned slightly at the last moment. She screamed, releasing Erik and turned around to redirect her attention.

I looked at Demi in shock but she paid no attention to me. "Lana. Get her to the car and stay there with her." I started to protest when I saw a few pieces of silver hair fall from the masked man's hood.

Sterling.

I hadn't noticed how he managed to make his was to Cairstine's side while the rest of us were distracted. I didn't have time to ask either because Lana promptly dragged me off, yelling for Adriana to follow.