Brunch

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you
I love your precious heart

I--- I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never tear us apart

INXS, Never Tear Us Apart

"Nice apron, Buck." There was a snicker in his voice to match his smirk when Sam nodded toward the offending garment. It was edged in a ruffle, something that had belonged to Ella's mother, and the pattern was pink roses strewn across a cream-colored background. Bucky flushed.

"You're just jealous you can't pull it off," he shot back. Bec had her hand over her mouth and her other hand found Ella's. Sam rolled his eyes.

"There's nothing I can't wear," he said. "I could do breakfast if you're cooking, I guess. I'll help. I know Becca wants to tell Ella about the engagement." He poked Bucky's ribs. "I did it right, too. Nice and romantic..." his voice faded as the men walked toward the kitchen. Becca dragged her to the music room.

"So did my brother just show up here this morning, topless?" she asked eagerly as she cornered Ella by the fireplace.

"No, he showed up, top on, last night," Ella said.

"And?? The apology worked?"

"I do have guest rooms, Rebecca. It was raining cats and dogs." Bec's face fell.

"Goddamn it, Ella," she said bitterly. Ella burst out laughing.

"The apology in the park ended in him giving me oral sex. We agreed to rendezvous here after he picked up some condoms. More oral sex, some regular fucking, we went to sleep. Then there was thunder and lightning right overhead, so we played a game of 'catch me,' I gave him head, then we really did sleep. If you'd have shown up forty-five minutes ago, you'd have caught us in the shower," she said blithely. "There was a lot of really good sex." She thought back, smiled bawdily, and nodded. "Hopefully a lot more in the near future."

"Ew, Ella, that's just nasty. I don't want to know that much about my brother," Bec hissed. "Sex in the park? Children go there, El!"

"Not last night, it was getting dark and it rained. We had the place to ourselves. Animals that we are," she goaded her friend.

"No!" Bec wailed. "I'm happy you guys worked things out, I don't want to know how he did it."

"He's a drummer, they have excellent rhythm—" Bec lunged and slapped her hand over Ella's mouth.

"No! Bad girl," she scolded.

"That's what he said," Ella mumbled, then laughed and backed away. "So how did Sam propose?"

"You've barely looked at the ring," Bec pouted.

"I've seen it," Ella smiled, a superior sort of smile.

"I thought you'd have told me that you went ring shopping with him," Bec said. "You're a cruel woman, Ella, and if you relate that to sex with my brother, I swear you are in trouble." Ella laughed.

"You knew he was talking about it, you told me what you wanted, and it looks like you like it, so he did good and you got the proper surprise."

"I did," Bec said, melting and looking at her ring. Ella relented and looked too, moving her hand to make the diamonds sparkle.

"It looks beautiful on your hand," Ella said admiringly.

"It's perfect," Bec bubbled. "We went to the Getty, they're having a small exhibition featuring Artemisia Gentileschi , then we ate there at the restaurant, sitting outside. Then we walked in the gardens around sunset, it was so beautiful and there are still flowers. We were in the Central Garden, the one with the maze in the reflecting pool, and he got down on one knee." Becca sighed in pleasure at the memory. "He was so handsome, the sunset cast everything in the most beautiful colors, and the garden was serene and you could hear the water.... It was perfect."