Apologies, Planning, a Showdown, and Challenges Are Thrown

Bucky started to get worried when Ella didn't answer her phone all afternoon or into the evening, so later he drove over again. He was just in time to see her Corvette pull out into the street and head toward town. He turned around and followed as she drove to the Strip. A car just about to park near the Rainbow caught sight of the Corvette in the rearview and drove off in search of a different spot. The Corvette slotted in neatly, the door opened, and long legs leisurely stretched out to the pavement. She shook her loose hair out as she stood and locked the car, then sauntered over to a group of bikers hanging out on the sidewalk nearby. She did an elaborate handshake with one of the men, looked to be introduced to a couple more, and stood for a few photos. Then she made her way to the door of the Rainbow, touched the arm of the bouncer to get his attention (unnecessary) and was waved in. About five minutes later, a waitress came out to the sidewalk with a tray of beer bottles that she served to the bikers. The leader snarled at a couple of guys who looked to be getting too close to the sports car. Bucky had a little more trouble with the bouncer, but he was still enough of a celebrity that he got in.

He was just in time to see her arrive at the prized center table to be greeted by all four members of Motley Crue. He never understood why she liked them; they were disgusting to their groupies, had occasional hygiene issues, could be violent, and they were just not... nice guys. But he saw Tommy Lee get up to give her a big hug, which was fully reciprocated, and got rid of a groupie to get the chair for Ella, seating her between him and Mick Mars. She patted Tommy's arm as he called for a waitress, then turned to talk to Mick. Vince Neil stood up with a groupie, but before he left, he lit a cigarette for Ella, who took it. Bucky had no idea she smoked. Even Nikki Sixx, stoned and rather hostile looking, spoke to her before retreating back into silence. Bucky drank a beer, casually observing the crowd, watching how she seemed to relax with every light touch to someone. Even some of Motley's groupies seemed excited to meet her and get a little arm pat. Fuck. Becca was right about why she was such a toucher. He'd never thought that there was a reason why, and he felt sick that he hadn't been more careful, that he'd overlooked so much about her. Although there were guys angling to be beckoned over to the table by her, she ignored them even through the rotation of female fans hoping for a shot with the male musicians. He finished his beer and left. The bikers were still watching over her car. One of them breathed on a piece of chrome and buffed it carefully with a bandana.

***

"Thanks for meeting me, Ella," Bec said miserably over breakfast at their usual diner the next day.

"Well, brothers." Ella shrugged and sipped her coffee. "Honestly, the only sensible thing to do with them is to kill them, but that's illegal." Becca snorted her own coffee through her nose.

"No, but we'd never have to work a day again in our lives," Becca said, hastily wiping her nose with a Kleenex and mopping up the table with a napkin. "No, listen, we buy a few hundred acres of undeveloped land, remote, let sisters bring their brothers. Ammunition is their choice, from Nerf guns to actual guns. We could have a sideline with funerals." They both cracked up.

"Plain, fancy, and possibly a band that could play dance music," Ella wheezed, which set them off again.

"We could get a liquor license, have specialty cocktails," Bec managed when she could speak again.

"No, stop," Ella gasped. "I have to pee now." And she scuttled for the bathroom as Carol, their usual waitress, appeared with their plates.

"Glad to see things are back to normal," the waitress said encouragingly.

"Me too," Bec said. "Thanks, this looks fantastic."

"You're welcome. More coffee?"

"Always." Bec grinned, feeling lighter.