Moving on

We've been running around in circles all year
Doing this and that and getting nowhere
This will be the last time
I think I said that last time

Depeche Mode, Leave in Silence

The siblings skidded to a halt in the casino, not able to see Ella anywhere. There were no eddies of movement that might be caused by someone walking fast, nothing. Becca sighed.

"She needs some alone time," she said. "She'll go up to our room when she's ready. I'll talk to her."

"Did you know that she felt that way about Steve?" Bucky asked her softly. Bec shook her head.

"No. I knew they were on the outs, of course, and that she sure doesn't like him right now, but I never thought that she didn't think he loved her. She's always done so much for him." Bucky shook his head.

"I know. Look, Beccaloon, I really didn't know what was going on here. We were practicing, then Steve asks if we'd go on a little trip with him. An event, he said, overnight. I wasn't planning on doing anything this weekend, so I said sure, and he picked me up at home where he'd told us to dress up some. He wouldn't say anything, but he was excited, and we went to the airport, got on a small flight with some other people. I didn't know where we were going or why, and I took a little nap on the way. We landed, we were the only ones getting off, then I see where we are. The limo pulled up at what turned out to be the marriage license place, he told us to stay put, then to the Chapel of the Bells. Before I knew it, Erik and I were being seated and Nat was walking down the aisle." He shook his head, bewildered. "While they were taking care of the formalities, I called the hotel here, then Erik and I signed as witnesses, I called again... there were photos, I called..."

"I get it," Bec said, patting his arm. "Look, I think we should just leave Ella alone, let her process, she'll also be embarrassed. We'll talk when she comes up."

"I need to talk to her too. I feel terrible. When are you guys leaving tomorrow?"

"We have to be at the airport at one. PM, that is. But Ella is getting a new tattoo tomorrow, Ned is coming in special just to do it, she's going to be there at eight."

"Ok," Bucky said, and turned, offering his sister his arm. He escorted her back to the lobby where she picked up her shoes and her friends, got the name of the tattoo parlor, and the women went upstairs.

Bucky went over to the band. Steve looked rattled, although he and Nat were holding hands tightly. "Steve, you gotta fix this," he said. Steve dropped his eyes and Bucky sighed. "Do we have reservations?" This was not the situation he thought he'd be in five hours ago.

"Yeah," Steve said, reaching into his jacket pocket and handing Erik and him each a key. Erik shook his hand and leaned in to say something.

"Congratulations," Bucky said to Nat. He thought he did a pretty good job keeping his voice friendly, but she gave him a look.

"I appreciate you coming with us," she said quietly. "Even if it was kind of rushed, I'm glad you were here."

"I thought you didn't want to get serious," Bucky said, unable to stop himself. "You want to rub it in my face?" Nat closed her eyes for a moment.

"Bucky, we weren't right for each other," she said. "I'm sorry that you're hurt by this. But what Steve and I have is different from our relationship."

"I hope it's everything you want," Bucky said, walked over to Steve to give a pro forma congratulatory hug, and went over to the elevators. Eight o'clock was going to come early.