- Chapter Eight -

"Your friends are something else

"Your friends are something else."

"Is that a bad thing?" Kai questions as we make our way through his hotel lobby. His hand remains low on my back as he ushers us through the entrance. "No," I respond, his friends are different from mine. Kai isn't like me. He was right about one thing, his world is different from mine, whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know yet. I can't help but glance at Kai beside me as we make our way toward the elevators.

"They liked you," Kai admits as we step into the elevator. "Don't bullshit me," I mumble as I watch Kai insert his key card for the top floor. "I'm not bullshitting," Kai states as the doors close, his eyes meet mine and in this confined space I don't know if I should take a step closer, or take a step back. "You are like divergent from us," Kai says with a small smile as he turns his body to face the door once more. The silence fills the small space, "I'll introduce you to some others later on," Kai comments, and I can't help but ask, "didn't your brother tell you to stay out of the media?"

For a moment I think that Kai won't answer but instead, he presses a button and the elevator comes to a harsh halt. "Let's get one thing straight," Kai spoke once the elevator stopped. Slowly, he turns to lean against the sliver railing that surrounds the walls, and I can't help but nod in encouragement, "my brother isn't the boss of me, he may be my Capo, but he doesn't dictate my life." I scoff at his statement, "clearly, hence why you married me instead."

Trust me, if I was sober, I wouldn't have married someone like Kai Bliss. I wouldn't have married anyone, full stop. Yet, here I am, in an elevator with Kai Bliss— my husband, who I know nothing about. However, for once in my life, I wasn't chosen because of my sister. Kai picked me, because he was, "intrigued," not because of who my sister is. Unlike the men I've dated in the past, they've all done it in hopes to meet the amazing, Emilia Wilson. Especially during high school, before I turned to online school, boys would introduce themselves to me, in hopes of meeting my sister.

I understand, my sister was everything I ever desired to be— so I can't necessarily blame them for using me for that reason.

"I married you because I chose to," Kai says as he takes a step closer to me. I take a step back until I hit the metal railing that surrounds the elevator. "You know nothing of this world, the danger that comes with it," he mutters as he now stands a couple of inches away from me. His body was so close, but not close enough.

"Try living in the real world, you've got it easy," I snap, I may come from a more privileged background, but that doesn't mean I haven't experienced the cruel natures of this world. "Ashley, this is reality, it's now your reality— you don't want to make me an enemy," Kai says, his voice remaining cold and emotionless. I watch as his eyes meet mine and they are unlike any eyes I've seen before. Ice blue, as cold as he is.

"I'm not trying to make you my enemy, but I do want a divorce," I speak the truth, my voice quieter than before but I blame that on his closeness. "Yeah," Kai mutters as he rubs his jaw before bridging the last, remaining gap between us, "but that's not happening anytime soon." I bite my tongue because I know arguing won't get me what I want. "And why not, Kai?" I ask with a polite smile just before angling my head to glance up at him.