- Chapter Six -

Last week I was waking up to head to work, and now I'm waking up in a new city, with a husband, who is also a part of the mafia

Last week I was waking up to head to work, and now I'm waking up in a new city, with a husband, who is also a part of the mafia. I must have pissed God off in a previous life to deserve this. I always joked to my sister, Em, about wanting something more. Wanting to do something illegal in a way to find myself— this wasn't what I planned.

"Faye," I say as I hold my phone up to my ear, my phone buzzes to indicate I have twenty percent left. I need to ask Kai for a charger when I have time. I did notice that Em tried calling me five times this morning, plus a missed call from Alex. They must really be worried. "Please, just call work, and explain that I must have caught a bug from Vegas," I explain as calmly as possible. I know Faye is worried for me, everyone is fucking worried for me— almost like I'll break.

I'm not going to break, not again.

"Please stay safe," I hear Faye request, I close my eyes as I sit on the edge of my new bed. The room is gorgeous, the view from the windows are everything. The whole wall is a window, I love it. I've never lived in a city which is filled with skyscrapers before— New York is everything I ever wished it to be. I sometimes wonder why Alex left New York to move back to Florence. "I will," I whisper with a smile, I've known Faye for a while now— we work together, we live together.

"What should I tell Parker?" Faye asks and I roll my eyes at her subtlety. "I'll call Parker, but by all means, if you bump into him, explain I've headed to New York for a job opportunity and I'll be home soon," I tell the lie that I should have told her. "Okay," Faye says, I could imagine her smiling. I remember around a couple of months ago, me and Faye got drunk one night for her birthday and she may have confessed she found my brother hot.

The mistake was telling Parker because ever since all he does is stare at her whenever she's in the room. I don't know if the two have hooked up, nor do I wish to. Yet, if they make each other happy, I'm in support of it. Who am I to stand in the way of someone else's happiness?

"I'll talk to you soon," as I say my goodbyes to Faye I pace around the room in search of any spare clothes. I hung the lilac dress up on a hanger that currently taunts me as it hangs over the back of the desk seat. Stepping into the bathroom I stripped off my underwear and headed into the shower. The showers are bigger than the ones I have at home, everything I've seen so far in this apartment is grander than what I have at home. I turn the shower on as I allow the hot water hit my body, the steam filling the room.

I know I can't stay here forever, but I wish to. Under the hot water, with no problems. I know the second I head out there, I'll have to face reality. The reality is that I married a stranger and not just anyone, but a man in the mafia. God, I prayed last night it was some sick, and twisted joke and that I'd wake up in the morning in my own bedroom, under my own sheets. Yet, when I opened my eyes and glanced at the windows and saw the lights from the other buildings, I knew it wasn't a nightmare.

As the sun rises I dry myself off before putting on the white, cotton bathrobe which was on hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I wonder if Kai would be awake? It's only just gone past eight now, I called Faye early because I knew she'd be getting ready for work, and knowing her, she probably wouldn't have been able to sleep.