- Chapter Nine -

Last Night

Last Night

"So, how's that new wife of yours?" I always knew Hunter was the jealous type, possessive even. Yet, I never knew that would apply to me. "Ashley is just fine," I lie as I throw a left punch to hit just below his rib cage.

The truth is, Ashley doesn't want to stay married, and yet, I do. The thought of marrying anyone other than Ashley Wilson never crossed my mind. And now that I've got her, I'm not letting her go. Over my dead body would I allow a divorce, which would mean Ashley could walk away, and head back to the west coast. We're stuck, and not just because of the rules.

"Yeah?" Hunter taunts as he circles me, like a hunter and his prey. I sometimes wonder if that's why he likes the game so much, because of his name. He's grown to enjoy the chase. "Then why are you here, with us, instead of at home with your newly, wedded wife?" Hunter asks with a grin before he throws a punch that lands on my left shoulder. I stagger back and wait for him to hit again, but instead, he doesn't. Hunter remains circling me, he enjoys knowing that no one can predict his next moves.

"And when are you going to make your move on Sofia Lewis?" I question with a smirk knowing that Sofia Lewis is Hunter Capello's weak spot. The Italian girl doesn't know it yet, but Hunter would do anything for the girl— I don't understand it, and neither do the others. It's a mystery, but we all knew something altered when Hunter met Sofia. The three of us are just waiting for Hunter to make a move now, we believe that he'll do it through an arrangement— Luca believes that even if Andrew Lewis, the head of the Italian Mafia, doesn't agree, Hunter will still find a way to make Sofia Lewis his.

I wish him luck, all this time I've assumed he had something going on with Aria Pazi, the mafia princess to the Chicago Outfit— clearly, I was mistaken. But we can't simply ignore the events of Winter Solstice, eight years ago. We were only sixteen, but we all remember that night.

"Sofia Lewis is currently on a girl's trip," Hunter states, both him and Blake were at one point watching Sofia. Yet, after a heated conversation, Blake backed off— fuck knows why he got involved in the first place. Everyone knows to never get in between the hunter and their prey.

"How's that going?" Luca mocks as him and Nathan sit on the bench below the platform, watching us circle each other. I should be at home right now, Hunter got that right— but I couldn't sleep, especially knowing that Ashley is so close, yet so far. "Amazing," Hunter lies with a smile before kicking his foot that knocks my legs which sends me down.

I collapsed to the floor, "shit," I cursed as I could already imagine the bruises I would get tomorrow. "You'll get over it," Hunter replies with an eye roll as he offers a hand to help me get back to my feet. "You know," Hunter begins as me and him make our way out of the ring to join the others on the ground below. "Chicago is hosting the gala next week, will Ashley be joining?"