- Chapter Fourteen -

"A vodka and coke

"A vodka and coke."

I've always envied red hair, like the cooper tone. The lady besides me whose leaning against the bar turns to face me. Her eyes light up as I quickly glance away as if I wasn't staring. I have a habit of watching people, that's why I immediately look away if people catch me. I feel awkward when people catch you staring because to them they probably then think you're weird. And that's one thing I don't want to be associated to, especially in this situation.

"What family?"

"Excuse me?" I asked as politely as possible, my grip on my glass slightly tightening. "Your family name, what is it?" The women asks again, I stay silent before she cracks a smile. "You're not from this world, are you?" She questions as she pushes back her hair to behind her ears. "That obvious?" I say while crossing one leg over the other. The women doesn't talk again, instead she leans against the bar, watching me. Her green eyes locking with mine. I offer a small smile before searching for Kai again in the crowd. Come on Kai, save me from small talk.

"Aria Pazi," the women says aloud, I turn my body to face her again as I watch Arias hand extend to stretch out to signify a handshake. With my free hand I grip hers, "Ashley Wilson," I greet, Aria smiles before removing her hand. "So, Ashley Wilson," she hums placing a hand on her hip, "what's an outsider doing at a charity event for the elites?" She asks, this is the part where I wonder if I should have told her that I'm married to Kai Bliss— a member of The New York mafia, maybe?

I'm no longer Ashley Wilson but rather Ashley Bliss— I've never been a Wilson since stepping foot on New York soil. Here, I am known as a Bliss and maybe that's for the better.

"A friend," I lied, Aria nods but it's clear she doesn't believe me. She turns to lean her back against the bar, her eyes scanning the crowd. "You have to be careful about the people here, you never know what they'll do," her words are cold, along with her stare. She waves at someone before returning her attention to me— an outsider. Is it that obvious? Then again, I imagine everyone would know anyone here.

"I've already been informed," I said with a smile, Kais warning rings throughout my mind, thinking of my fake-husband, where the fuck is his? Considering two weeks ago, he was convinced I was going to run, plus he refused to leave me alone in public. Kai, where are you? "So, what's your thoughts on the party?" Arias question throws me off guard, to be honest, I hadn't given the party much thought. Kai only attended to keep up his image, and he only brought me because of Lizzie's request.

I hate to admit it, but we have a good thing going at the moment. We can stay in a room together for more than twenty minutes without having to leave. That's progress, I guess. My eyes travel the room, the decorations are beautiful, the color green fills the room. Emerald napkins, candles, many people are even wearing different shades of the color.