- Chapter Thirty-Two -

The event for this charity gala is nothing like I have ever seen before

The outside of the building itself looks at if we have just stepped into a different time era. Almost medieval architecture surrounds the building, rose bushes are planted around the perimeter of the house— I say house, it's what I imagine a castle to look like.

"Just stay by my side tonight, and don't tell anyone you're apart of the New York Famille," Kai said besides me as our car came to a stop. He opened his door first before stretching out his hand to offer his support. Tonight, Kai is dressed in a navy blue suit whereas I am dressed in a lighter shade of the color. The two of us once again proving that we are opposites in every which way. I offered Kai a small smile as he shut the car down behind us. "Will you do the same?" I asked, my arm wrapping around his elbow as we walked closer to the grand event.

"Yes, I will avoid it as much as possible," Kai admitted, his gaze zoned in on the set of black wooden doors that open at our arrival. As soon as we stepped foot in the foyer, the doors closed with a quiet thud behind us, almost as if it was trapping us inside. The room was lit by candle light, and the sounds of laughter and music echoed from down the corridor. "In here then are we married?" The question was suppose to leave my mouth effortlessly but a ounce of jealousy made its appearance.

Kai looked my way with a smirk as we walked closer to the noise, "why? Thinking of how many men you're going to flirt with," Kai taunted, his eyes shining in the dim light. "Says the reformed playboy," I teased as he pulled my body closer to his own. "I don't plan on flirting with any women but you," he says and my heart jumped at the words. I have to take a deep breath to relax myself. Sometimes I swear Kai says this stuff to haunt me.

"Speaking like a true playboy," I said instead, his gaze travels over to mine and I have to remind myself that his eyes don't mean anything. He isn't looking at me as if he's in love— I imagine the feeling is a foreign concept to him, Kai Bliss is someone I would assume knows nothing of the word nor the emotion. "You wound me, Ash," Kai mocks as he holds a hand over his heart, he offers a smile and that alone wounds me.

We entered the main ballroom and I audibly let out a gasp at the site. Everyone was dressed in brightly colored gowns and suits, the room itself was brightened by candles once again. Rounded tables aligned the walls, whereas the middle of the room was for those who wished to dance or speak in smaller groups. Kai tugged me closer to his body as we made our way across the room. I took note on how most people wore shades of blue and I wondered if there was a reason for that.

"Sins," Kai greeted and I finally looked away from the crowd to be stood in front of one of the rounded tables towards the back. Hunter sat off to the side, similar to Kai he wore a darker shade of blue, not navy, but similar to the shade for his trousers with a white shirt underneath his matching blazer. For a second I hold still thinking I caught sight of what looks like to be a harness of some sort underneath his jacket. "Beautiful as always, Ashley," I glance at Nathan who sits on the opposite side of Hunter. "Thank you," I said, showing a smile.