- Chapter Thirty-Nine -

"You do realise you can't keep me here?"

The blissful sounds of romance, I can't help but watch Hunter and Sofia from a distance as they argue. They don't know I'm here yet from their conversation, I stand in the hallway to his main living room as the kitchen island separates the two. Hunter stands with his hands in his pockets while Sofia leans against the counter.

"Where else will you go?" Hunter asked, his head tilting slightly as he watched for her reaction. Sofia scoffed at her question, "home for starters, or Chicago, Aria probably misses me," Sofia said with a smile as sweet as what she appears to be. "Aria doesn't miss anyone," I rolled my eyes at his comment. Hunter still has a grudge against Aria, nothing major but Hunter got pissed that Aria preferred Nathan, then again that was almost ten years ago.

"You would miss me if I left," Sofia uttered, she leaned back against the kitchen cabinets. Her arms now crossed against her chest as she held his eye contact. "Someone thinks highly of themself," Hunter said instead, "then let me leave," the two of them are dangerous together, that's an obvious. Hunter is too stubborn for his own good, and from their brief conversation alone, it's clear that so is Sofia. "You would rather be back home in Florence?" Hunter questioned, his tone raising slightly.

After a second of silence Sofia muttered her answer which would then seal her fate. "No," Hunter nodded at her response, fuck knows what her relationship is with her father that she would rather stay with the enemy. "Then it's settled," and that was my cue to make myself present. "Lust," I greeted, Hunter turned to face me, his smirk making its appearance. "Envy," I smiled at his greeting.

During our high school days, the four of us got branded as The Four Deadly Sins— there was a reason for that. For one, we all lived up to our names, Hunter being branded as Lust due to his sexual tendencies during his late teens and early twenties. As for myself, I got branded as Envy, mostly due to Ashley, I envied any guy who got to her before myself. The guys didn't know that was my reason but that's the truth.

"Kai," Sofia said bringing my attention back to the mafia princess. "How are you?" I asked, Ashley's wish stuck in my mind. I know she wanted to protect Sofia from this fate, hence why she got Blake involved. But Ashley must have known that Hunter gets whatever he wants, and he wants Sofia Lewis in ever way possible. Fuck war if that happens, he would rather Florence declare war on The West, rather than having to let Sofia go. That alone is another level of obsession. "I'm fine, I guess," Sofia replied with a shrug.

"What do you think has happened?" Hunter snapped, my focus returning to his. "Ashley is worried, that's all," I say, and she has the right to worry but we all know Hunter would never hurt Sofia for multiple reasons. "Tell your wife that I haven't touched Sofia as of yet, let alone hurt her," he said, his tone edging to appear more dangerous. "Yes, God forbid that would happen," Sofia said, her eyes staring at the back of Hunters head.