- Chapter Thirty-Eight -

"You were right

"You were right."

The words came out in between sobs. I locked myself in my bathroom an hour ago and after fifty minutes I decided to call my sister. "You were right," I repeated in between my tears. Em remained silent and I wished I knew what she was thinking. "What did he do?" She finally asked, "I'll talk to Kian," she warned, I held my breath to try and stop the hiccups which were to come.

I was such a fool, and maybe it's even more foolish of me that I believed him when Kai said he would earn my trust back. I wanted to believe him more than anything.

"It doesn't matter but just know that you were right," I said before adding, "once again," in a mutter. Em sighed again before speaking loud enough for me to hear in between my tears. "He hasn't physically hurt you, has he?" She asked, I quickly shook my head at her words. "No, of course not," I said, I heard her whisper a, "thank God," under her breath before the silence returned. Despite what Kai has done, he would never physically hurt, the thought alone makes me sick. "Come to Italy, Ash— for the rest of the summer," Em asked but her request wasn't as much as it was a question rather it was a simple demand.

"I can't just get up and leave," I replied, despite what has happened between Kai and myself, I refuse to leave him alone. Myself was alone before Kai, and I know what that feels like. I will not leave him by myself, that is just too cruel. Truth be told Kai is my best friend, and he's also my husband. I would not run away to Italy to hide from him, never. "I'll come visit you soon," I mumbled instead, again Em muttered something before speaking loudly once again. "Please just think reasonably, and don't do anything rash."

"So don't do anything you would do," I joked and I heard Em laugh on the other end of the line. "I'm sorry for not coming to Italy like I should have," I finally said, as soon as the words escaped my lips it's as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. "I'm sorry for arguing with you," Em said, "and I'm sorry for telling you that Kai would break your heart— if you love him then everything will work out."

I paused at her words before speaking once more, "I never said I loved him," I muttered my words. Am I in love with Kai? It's true to note that he makes me feel something I have never felt before, and the fact he's the first person I want to see before I go to sleep and after I wake up. Kai also makes me smile and sometimes even laugh, and when I look into those icy blue eyes, my heart aches for his love. He makes me want to live again, is that what romantic love feels like? I pray to God it is because then that would explain everything I feel towards him.

"You didn't have to," Em said, I stand up on shaky legs as I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror which hung above the sink. "I love him," I whispered more to myself than my sister, my eyes locked with my own in the mirror as I repeated the words. "I love him," as I chanted the words my heart began to beat quicker each time. I love him and I miss him, both of those are true— and I hate him because of that. I should despise him for making me love him, I should detest the way he's betrayed me.