- Chapter Thirty-Six -

I haven't left Blake's house in over a week

Is that pathetic of me? No, no it isn't. Try having your heart shattered to pieces, it's not fun. So excuse me for wanting to spend some alone time doing shit all. I think Blake is over me by now, he's offered me one of his many guest rooms but I refuse to move from the couch unless I have too. It was the first place I settled after that night, and I haven't built up the energy or courage to move from it. It's as if I've somehow convinced myself that this is a safe spot for me after the heartbreak.

I have spent enough time here now to learn and watch Blake's day— it's a pattern, everyday he leaves the house before five am, and then returns midday, I mostly believe that's just to check in on me. He will bring fresh soup, or a baked good of some sort. I know this world views Blake Bliss as a danger, especially considering his role in the mafia, but all he's ever been to me is kind. Crazy, I know,
especially considering Kai had only ever been kind to me.

And look where that got me.

That whole thing turned into something bigger, I wasn't expecting Hunter to confess Kais sins. He betrayed my trust, and my heart. I refuse to talk to Kai, Blake has mentioned his name a couple times, mostly about how I should talk to him, how Kai wants to explain. I tense up at his name, my heart aching in my chest as if the name burns me. What's there to talk about? He lied to me, seduced me into wanting him and he had the audacity to want to explain.

To explain the reasonings behind his betrayal because no matter the excuse, he still did it. Kai chose to hurt me... That is hard to to ignore.

The clock that hangs besides Blake's massive tv strikes seven in the evening and I know he'll be back any second to check on me for the night. I pulled the blanket up and over my entire body so that I was encased by the warmth that it gave. Another movie played on the tv in the background but I'm not paying attention. My sole focus remains on Kai, despite him not being near. After moments of silence in my head the sound of the front door unlocked and in walks Blake.

I closed my eyes hoping that he'll believe I'm sleeping. The door closes once again before the sofa dips besides me. Blake doesn't say anything, he doesn't have to. He lets out a breath besides me as I remain with my eyes closed. "If you're here to try and convince me to hear Kai out, you're wasting your breath," I muttered as I turned my body away from him. Unlike all the times before, I feel an arm wrap around my waist before pulling me back against his body.

My eyes snap open expecting to glance up to see Blake but instead see his younger brother. My husband, my liar and most of all my bestfriend. I tried to pull away but Kai pulled me in closer. "Just listen for one minute and then if you wish not to see me, I'll leave and grant you your divorce," he said, his voice cruel but the tone didn't match his eyes. They were bloodshot and I imagine that's due to the lack of sleep he's getting. It's selfish of me but I wish it were due to missing me. Missing us being together like it should be.