Laura 23.0

*Brett is pushing me into a corner and for some reason, the room starts to change. Into what looks like to be a cliff, I look down at my feet and it's blurry but I can make out a similar look and feel the grass. I look at him and he has this angry look and his eyes are dark, so dark it looks black. I'm afraid of what he might do next. I try to look around and all I see are trees and the sound of waves crashing, I look to the side and see how far we are up from the water. It had to be at least one hundred feet. This time I look at brett, my hands are the ones around his neck and I'm the one who is shoving him closer to the edge, I try to stop but I can't. We move faster and quicker, we have finally made it to the edge and he looks at me with forgiving eyes. Both of his hands are wrapped around my arms as he tries to hang on. I try to move them to get him to safety, but nothing is working. "I love you," he says and I let go.*

Gasping for air, I wake up from the terrible nightmare. I sit up and I feel sweaty, looking at the clock. It flashes four-thirty in the morning.

Groaning, I get up and walk into my bathroom and see my sweaty reflection and my awful hair.

I shake my head and start the shower, jumping in to feel the warmth and letting the water run down my body. I start to think about last week's meeting, how different Brett was, and how Andrea was doing. I can't believe he lied to her like that. And I'm disappointed in myself for admitting my true feelings towards Brett to Jack, my boss.

I hear a faint sound, so I quickly turned the water off and wrapped myself in a towel. The sound is still going off and I think it's my phone. Walking out of the bathroom into the room, to find my phone screen lighting up. I quickly run over in my towel and soaking hair to see the familiar number, Brett.

I hesitate and take a seat on the floor, and slide over to answer. I didn't want to say anything, so I just sat there waiting for him to say something.

"Laura," he says and I feel myself dig into a hole and my body sends chills.

My breathing starts to get shakey and then suddenly my body calms itself down. confused, I take the moment to breathe and talk.

"what do you want?" I ask. I look at my clock and it's flashing five twenty-four. I've got to leave the house before six.

"I need to talk to you, please," he begs and I roll my eyes and pull up some slacks and slip on some flats.

"About what? I don't have time for this right now, I've got to be going." I state.

I walk over to my closet with Brett to my ear and he is still going at it about how sorry he was. Pushing through my clothes and trying to see what goes well with my black slacks. I look down at my outfit and laugh. 

"everything," I say out loud and Brett stops.

"Everything what?" he asks.

"Nothing, I was talking to myself" I reply and pick out a yellow silk blouse and look at the mirror contemplating if it looks good or not.

"please" he finally says and the clock is flashing five thirty-seven.

I groan for a second and still look at myself in the mirror with my hands on my hips along with tapping my feet on the carpet. I pull my hair up in a clip and pull some pieces to frame my face.

"Okay fine" I finally say and grab my bag and hurry downstairs and grab my water bottle and a banana. Brett is still rambling on and I start to get a headache. I squint my eyes in pain. "look I really don't have the time to talk about anything at this moment. I'll email you later when I am awake and had something in my stomach, bye" I say and hang up before giving him a chance to say anything.

I get to my car and realize, "I left my makeup bag" I groan in frustration and throw everything in the passenger seat and run back inside to retrieve the bag.

Even if it was only four or five pieces of makeup, Jo always said that in this kind of job industry. Always look presentable and well dressed.

I start the car and drive off.