Laura 30.0

Waking up to the sound of my alarm going off, I reach over and turn it off. I look over my shoulder and I can hear Brett's soft snores, I smile.

I grab my phone and walk downstairs to use the bathroom and get ready without waking up Brett.

J: Hey, what time are you wanting to go tomorrow morning? Jo texted.

I search through the moving boxes and try to find my notes for this afternoon. I find it and see the time.

Laura: The scheduled time for us to come in and try on dresses is ten. I texted and started the shower.

----------------------------------------

"Hey" I whisper as I try to wake up Brett and he groans and rolls over I smile to see his messy hair and slobber all over his face.

"mmm," he says half asleep.

"I'm about to leave and meet Jo at the dress boutique, I need you up and ready by two and Jack will be here to pick you up," I whisper and he just nods his head.

"I'm serious Brett," I say in my normal voice and slap his butt, and he groans.

"Hey! only I can do that to you" he yells as I walk out of the room and I laugh.

----------------------------------------

I keep looking at my phone to see any messages from Brett and nothing pops up, the time reads two fifteen and I pray that he made it over to the tuxedo store to try on his fit.

I guess my worried looks were showing too bad because Jo walks over and places both of her hands on my shoulders.

"You need to calm down and relax, they both made it to the shop," she reassures me.

"I know but he always texts to let me know when he makes it somewhere," I emphasize.

"for christ's sake Laura! you're getting married and you guys moved states back to where he's from and you living life exactly the way you are supposed to. I've never been more proud of you than I am now." she says and kisses my forehead.

She's right, I moved out of Oklahoma and got away from all the past that haunted me for so long. Moving back to California with Brett was the best decision I could have made. I wanted Jo to go with me, but she insists that she wants to build a family with Jack and stay.

Looking at her as she is in complete awe of the dresses here, I hope that one day that can be her and I'll be the one trying on bride maid dresses or the maid of honor.

Thinking of everything that has happened like one year can make a difference. And that happened because of Brett, I often wonder what would I be doing if I hadn't let him buy me lunch that he ruined of course.

Or never meeting Jo.

I'd probably still be in the system going home to home and getting beat on or worse. I could be out on the streets looking for food in the trash and just dream of getting out of there. But instead, I'm here, somewhere where I have a warm bed to sleep in and food in my stomach every night. Where out there right now, I'd be starving and haven't eaten in days.

Not only is it just me that got out of that place, but so did j. And I'm so glad I have her by my side through everything.

It's not only that he hasn't messaged me, it's the fact that he's still talking to Andrea and it's been a year and a half since everything. The other day when he was out with contractors, I found albums of him and her together in their high school days. I don't know how to ask him about it or what to say without sounding like I'm upset, I just want to know why he still has those.