Chapter 4. Nancy and Steve

The next day, everyone was talking about the events that occurred at Tina's party the night before

The next day, everyone was talking about the events that occurred at Tina's party the night before. Billy was more popular than ever now and today was his first basketball practice. Daphne knew he would make it on the team, but the Hargrove siblings hadn't silently agreed to make up like they normally did yet. Setting aside their conflicts and continuing as they normally would.

Normally, they would make up by one of them suddenly starting to talk to the other again or some sort of peace offering was made, but not this time. Billy hadn't spoken to her except for asking Daphne how she had gotten home the night before. Daphne lied and said that Carol had taken her home and not Steve Harrington.

Daphne could already tell from the moment Billy and Steve had first interacted at the party that he did not like him. Telling Billy that Steve Harrington drove her home would have been the biggest mistake of her life. After dealing with giving her brother the silent treatment and now being back at school Daphne had the painful job of confronting Tina and her friends.

"Daphne! Here you left your bag at my house," Tina caught up with Daphne after she saw her get out of Billy's car. "Thanks," Daphne said coldly.

"Hey, is something wrong?" Tina asked in a concerned manner.

Daphne turned around and stared Tina directly in the eyes, "Oh, nothing much. Just the fact that my so-called friends," Daphne air-quoted, "were only using me to get to my brother. Who is now hooking up with Vicki apparently."

Tina was shocked, as she quickly figured out that Daphne had heard her conversation with Carol at the party. "Daphne, I'm so sorry. Please, it was all Carol and Vicki's idea and sure I went along with it in the beginning, but then I got to know you and Daphne... I never wanted to hurt you. I tried talking Vicki and Carol out of it, but they wouldn't listen. Sure, I find your brother attractive, but I didn't want to be a part of their scheme. It was a shitty thing to do." Tina apologized.

Daphne looked at her suspiciously, "And how do I know you're not just saying this? That this was your motive all along and you want to stay close to me to get with my brother, anyway? Who, by the way, can be a total asshole."

Tina shrugged her shoulders, but nonetheless continued, "You don't. But Daphne I don't want Billy at all I swear to you. I just want to be your friend and if you don't want me near Billy I'll keep my distance," Tina batted her eyelashes and was almost on her knees in front of Daphne.

"Fine. Thanks for my bag, Tina," Daphne gave a tight-lipped smile. Did she believe anything that Tina said? Not completely. Daphne couldn't tell if she was just that desperate to have a friend in Hawkins that she was willing to entertain the idea that Tina didn't mean her any harm. So, she decided to remain her friend, but keep her at arm's length in case of being hurt again. All she had to do now was confront Vicki and Carol.

Daphne gave a fake smile and excused herself. Instead of going straight to her first period, she met up with Jonathan in the newspaper room to discuss a new print for the beginning of the month before classes started.