Chapter 58. The Aftermath

Steve stood still and watched Daphne escape until she was out the window and couldn't see her anymore

Steve stood still and watched Daphne escape until she was out the window and couldn't see her anymore. He felt his heart become heavy. All he wanted was to be by her side, to save her if need be, but he couldn't.

When the shaking of the ground stopped Steve was pulled from his thoughts when Robin called out for him. He didn't know when they did this, but she and Nancy had busted down the back door to the house. "Steve! Come on, we need to go!" Robin yelled for him.

The three sprinted out of the house and turned only to see carnage before them. The worst had happened, but all they knew now was that they needed to get back home. Nancy took off, trying to remember the way they came as best she could. When finally after what felt like an eternity, the trailer park was in sight.

The three ran through the forest expecting to see Eddie's trailer, but they were clear on the other side. So, they ran down the road when finally they saw the unthinkable.

There in the short distance was Dustin, struggling and crying, pulling Eddie's limp body to the trailer. "Dustin? Dustin!" Nancy called and rushed toward the boy. Dustin shot his head up as the three older teens stared down at Eddie's body.

Robin sucked in a breath, trying to hold back her tears. Without hesitation, Steve wrapped an arm around her, his own eyes becoming glassy. "Dustin... we need to leave," Nancy said, crouching down to Dustin's level.

"No! I-I can't just leave him here!" Dustin sobbed in return.

Steve gave Robin a soft pat on her back and stepped forward placing a hand on Nancy's shoulder. Nancy turned over her shoulder to look up at him. She was also trying not to cry. She gave Steve a nod and stood up. She and Robin made their way to the trailer to find a way out.

"Dustin... Nance is right. We need to get outta here..." Steve started and Dustin began shaking his head, unable to form words. "Hey, hey. C'mon." Steve crouched down, trying not to look at Eddie's lifeless body.

"No. No. No. No!" Dustin cried, "I won't leave him here. He deserves better than this."

Dustin's words felt like hundreds of daggers stabbing Steve's heart. "I know. I know. But we need to leave, we need to get to Max."

Dustin looked up into Steve's eyes finally, almost as a sign that he was more willing to listen. "Come on, man. Come on," Steve encouraged.

Steve stood up slowly and held out his hand to Dustin. With a choked sob Dustin shot up and embraced Steve. Dustin's arms hooked around his torso tightly. Steve rubbed Dustin's back comfortingly. "Steve, c'mon!" Robin poked her head out of Eddie's trailer door, calling after him.

"C'mon, man. We gotta go," Steve said softly. Dustin peeled his arms from Steve as they began to take the first couple of steps away from the body. But before he forgot, Dustin ran back suddenly and pulled something from Eddie's pocket—his guitar pick necklace.