Chapter 53. Phase One

The sun had set

The sun had set. It was the dead of night now and Steve had parked the RV in the woods nearest to Daphne and Eddie's trailers. Everyone started to gather up their gear. And before they were to make their way out Nancy stopped everyone to triple-check their plan. "Okay, I wanna run through it one more time," she said as she turned to everyone, "Phase one."

    She was now wearing her own heavy-duty protective jacket with padding inside and fingerless black gloves. "We meet Erica at the playground," Robin answered. She was now wearing a camo-vest and pants with a red military-style beret that she'd found in the owner of the RV's clothes. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready," Robin finished.

    "Phase Two," Nancy continued.

    "Max baits Vecna," Steve answered while looking over at Daphne standing next to him. Steve had a whole new set of clothes. New shirt, boots, a jacket, and a bag with his choice of weapon. A double-sided axe sticking out on his back. Daphne was wearing her jacket but kept her same jeans and boots. She tied her hair back into a braid and had the pistol at her side. "He'll go after her which'll put him in his trance," Steve finished.

    "Phase Three?" Nancy questioned.

    "Me and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin answered, pointing to Eddie who was standing behind him. Eddie affectionately went to ruffle Dustin's hair, despite him having a gray hoodie on over his head and a bandana over that on his forehead. Then over his hoodie, Dustin was wearing a grass-like covering used for camouflage

    Eddie on the other hand had replaced his jean vest with an army green puffer vest and tied his bandana over his head.

    "Four," Nancy continued.

    "We head into Vecna's hopefully newly, bat-free lair, and... flambé," Robin answered and shook one of the bottles filled with gasoline. "Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?" Nancy ordered, looking around at everyone.

    "Got it," everyone answered and nodded.

    They all got up and walked through the outskirts of the woods until they saw Eddie's trailer in the short distance. They walked by Daphne's home first, to which Daphne noticed that Susan didn't seem to be home still, thankfully. Just as they passed around the trailer Steve began to run ahead to Eddie's as they crossed the road. Everyone ran to catch up with him, crossing the road with haste.

    Steve opened the door into the trailer, taking his bag off in the process as everyone rushed in behind him. They surrounded the sheet rope to the Upside Down, while Eddie closed the door behind him.

    "Be careful," Dustin said to Steve before he stepped up to the rope.

    "Thanks, buddy," Steve replied, nudging Dustin's arm with his before stepping forward to grab the rope. "Here goes nothin'," he added.