Twenty Seven

JESSICA spent thirty minutes outside Leonard's house holding Alicia's arm because she wanted to back out. She kept a hold of her while giving her a pep talk so she wouldn't chicken out. Her nerves were getting the best of her. "Come on babes, you got this," Jessica said for the umpteenth time while pulling her forward.

"I don't want to lose her Jess." Alicia sighed dejectedly pulling back with little force she could muster.

"You won't know if you don't try for sure. Plus, I really promised someone a dance and they're already mad at me for being late."

"Well, why don't you inside and find your date; while I go back to your place and stuff my face with junk food." Alicia pouted.

"Not happening. Since when does Muthoni back out from a challenge?" Jessica raised her perfectly drawn eyebrows that she made Alicia do as payback for making them extremely late. "Don't you also want to see her? You miss her, don't you?"

Those words caused Alicia to sigh deeply and stop tugging, she took a deep breath and then managed a small smile. "Okay, let's do this." She said, now with confidence. She rubbed her hands on her jeans and rolled her shoulders, "Why didn't I bring a jacket again?" She said when she felt a breeze passing through leaving her skin cold with goosebumps
.
"I'll give you mine later, let's go." Jessica pulled her inside the house, she sighed in contentment at the sight. Jessica was always fond of parties, and free drinks. Who could ever resist that?

"Find your girl, I'm going to get us drinks." Jessica winked and started walking away.

"She's not my girl!" Alicia hissed after her and then rolled her eyes because she knew Jessica didn't hear her. She nervously glanced around the room before forcing herself to move between sweaty bodies to the kitchen. She was glad that she knew the place well and so it was easy to find the kitchen.

As soon as she rounded a corner that led to the kitchen she was tackled from behind, from her sweet Rose scent she quickly knew who it was before even turning. On impulse, her heartbeat increased, and she suddenly found it difficult to swallow take in deep breaths. Therefore, finding herself holding her breath.

Zedina tightened her hold on Alicia, she didn't know how much she really missed her until she saw her walk into the house. For a moment she was left speechless, she thought Alicia looked absolutely stunning the moment she walked in. She smiled against her back and inhaled her scent, Alicia froze.

Zedina held her for a moment, taking deep breaths and releasing. She slowly let her go before turning her to face her. Alicia could clearly see the hurt in Zedina's eyes, she felt queasy in the stomach, and the feeling slowly rose to her throat.

"You have been ignoring me." It wasn't a question; she didn't know what to say. She stared at Zedina hoping her eyes would tell her how sorry she was.

"Come on," Zedina grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the kitchen. Three people were sitting at the counter holding drinks in their hands. She nodded towards them silently asking them to give them privacy. They quickly nodded back and walked out, she locked the door behind them. The sound from the party now sounded like a distant call.

Alicia gulped nervously and sat on one of the stools, she could feel her heart hammering, the beating echoing loudly in her ears. She could even feel it in her head as it slowly started pounding. She started scratching her inner left palm with her right hand to keep herself steady.

Zedina took a deep breath and plastered a nervous smile on her face, "Are you alright Alicia?" She asked softly while taking the stool beside her. Alicia inhaled sharply, she avoided eye contact with her. 'You got this.' She thought trying to boost her confidence.

Zedina discerned her hand scratching her palm, and how she avoided her eyes. She reached for her hand and pulled them apart, "Hey, you know you can always tell me anything." Zedina encouraged softly. Alicia stared at Zedina, 'So beautiful' was her first thought. She inhaled deeply and then exhaled.

'This is it.' Alicia thought. 'I have to tell her. We'll always be friends.' She supposed. 'I hope.' She added.

"I know Zee," She managed a tiny smile for her causing Zedina's lips to lift a little. At least they were starting somewhere.

"Then you know I will never judge you, whatever it is. I'm here for you." She said sweetly and rubbed the back of her hand with her thumb. The action made Alicia take a shaky breath and release it.

"Yeah, uh- ooh . . ." She chuckled softly and raised her head to the ceiling. She heaved a sigh and then lowered her head.

"First of all, I'm sorry for ghosting you. You don't deserve that." She looked at her pleadingly. Zedina encouraged her with a nod. "And second, I just want you to know that I'm completely fine with whatever reaction you have to this, and I hope that if it doesn't go well we can still be friends and we forget I ever said anything." Alicia chewed on her bottom lip nervously.

Zedina could swear her heart skipped a beat for a second, she stopped breathing. She knew what that meant, she wasn't oblivious. She didn't show it but encouraged Alicia to go on. Alicia gulped, she took a deep breath and exhaled, her heartbeat never slowed. As if she had wheels turning and turning inside her nonstop.

"I—I think I – I like you, Zee. Like, like you like you. I don't know how; I- I just feel that way. And, I know. I know you have Sam and Jane to think about and I don't want to add to your confusion. But, I—" She sighed sadly. "I can't help how I feel."

Zedina stared at her with wide eyes, her lips slightly parted in disbelief that her best friend admitted to liking her as more than a friend. She didn't deny that she harboured strange feelings for her best friend, but she didn't think they would ever talk about it.

Much less, Alicia confessing to her.

As they settled in silence, Alicia beating herself up for putting her best friend in an awkward situation and wishing she could take back her confession, Zedina felt like her heart was bursting out of her chest as it raced wildly.

Author's Note

Hello Luvs, how's y'all doing? I'm pretty exhausted, but tomorrow I'll upload more chapters.

I hope you enjoyed reading this. Bold Alicia ;) Thank you for following me :)