Fifty Two

THE SEMESTER soon ended, everyone was exhausted—the papers had taken a toll on them—Zedina was just grateful that she pushed herself to review her work because she was certain she would have been completely blank if she just showed up without studying. Despite spending the two weeks away on vacation, Jessica was certain she would ace her tests.

Jessica was ready to tell her friends about Veronica, but that was after a lengthy talk with Veronica who wasn't the slightest bit impressed at first but gradually accepted Jessica's request with the promise that none of them would talk about it publicly. She couldn't have them both facing harsh consequences.

"I'm thinking we go to Diani, what do you guys think?" Jerida asked, she was chewing on sugarcane. They were all at Jessica's place just hanging out. Her suggestion was met by a bunch of groans and boos.

"Whatever, none of you suggested anything else." Jerida scowled.

"Actually, I can't join you guys. Ian and I are going to his parent's cabin in Machakos for a while and then we'll go to my parent's house." They were all breaking for a long holiday—summer vacation if you will.

"Come on, it's supposed to be friends' holiday vacation . . ." Jerida pouted.

"I also won't join you guys," Jessica interjected.

"WHAT!" Jerida exclaimed. "Now y'all are just bailing on us."

"It's not that." Jessica sighed, she briefly glanced at Zedina who nodded with a grin at her encouraging her.

"I've been seeing someone." She started. The group gasped, all except Zedina. "You knew?" Lilian asked beside her. Lilian was honestly disappointed because she found Jessica really attractive but she accepted that they would only be friends. She had just started dating a girl she met on Tinder.

"Sorry," Zedina chimed with a guilty smile on her face.

"Well, who is it?" Alicia asked.

"Spill it already." Jerida jumped in.

"You first have to swear on your life that you won't tell anyone what I tell you." Jessica took a deep breath. A strike of realization hit Alicia and her mouth fell open, 'It can't be,' She mused.

Jessica received a chorus of we promise from the group.

"Okay, I have been dating Veronica Lewis, my Literature professor for three years now." They all gasped—save for Zedina and Alicia.

"How are you not surprised, Alicia. Did you also know?" Jerida asked suddenly narrowing her gaze sharply on Alicia, she felt betrayed to be finding out about Jessica's love life.

"Oh no, I just figured it out a few moments before she said,"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys, but it's very risky and she could lose her job if the board ever finds out."

"Don't worry, none of us will say a word Jess," Raquel assured her with a soft smile.

"No, I need you to promise me that you won't talk about this. EVER!" She stressed.

"Okay, we promise," Jerida replied.

"I'm sorry J, I am also going to meet Jane's family." Zedina scrunched her face feeling guilt consuming her.

Jerida pinched the bridge of her nose, "Alright, it looks like it will be just me, Raquel and their girlfriend, Lilian and her hers, and Lizzie." Jerida sighed solemnly, she was looking forward to hanging out with her best mates.

"I'm really sorry J." Zedina said.

"You should be; you're going to miss the best time in the world," Jerida spoke bitterly.

"I know I will," Zedina conceded. She could see how Jerida was hurt, they all could. Jerida stood up and grabbed her corduroy tote bag and hung it on her shoulder. "I'll just get going, Lizzie you coming?" She swallowed and walked towards the door.

"I'm sorry guys," Elizabeth apologised as she stood up to follow her upset girlfriend.

"Will she be okay Liz?" Alicia asked.

"Yeah, don't worry." Elizabeth offered a polite smile, she knew how sensitive her girlfriend was when it came to her friends.

When Elizabeth caught up to her girlfriend she caught a glimpse of her wiping her cheeks with her sleeve. She sighed heavily and took Jerida's tote bag from her and carried it on her shoulder. She then wrapped her hand around Jerida's shoulders and pulled her closer.

"It's okay baby, we'll have a lot of fun." She encouraged.

"I know Lizzie, I just thought that maybe since we haven't hung out as a group in a long time they would want us to." Jerida sighed, she clenched her jaw and then swallowed heavily.

"I get you babe, but you understand that they are all dealing with a lot of stuff right now and they need to sort that out and then maybe they'll have time then." She smiled.

"Whose side are you on?" Jerida snapped and slipped away from her hold and stomped away from Elizabeth. The latter sighed heavily and followed behind her, "You know I'm right baby."

"Just let me be," Jerida sighed, she stood outside the passenger's door and waited for Elizabeth to unlock her car. She did and then walked around to open the door for her. Jerida mumbled a thank you and got in, Elizabeth sighed and went to the driver's side to drive them back to their flat.

That wasn't the only reason Jerida was upset, her twenty-second birthday would be in five days and she was certain that they had all forgotten. Too wrapped up in their own drama that they had forgotten about their friend's birthday. It bothered her, she felt unimportant—although she knew that wasn't the case. She had Elizabeth who could make even the dullest days brighter.

"Well, I need to get packing. I'll probably see you guys after the holidays." Jessica said to the silent room.

"Don't forget to call," Zedina said after her, Jessica smiled in response and nodded.

"I hope J will be okay,"

"Yes, she will. After what we have planned? She has to." Lilian said.

"She's sure to beat us up though." Raquel supplied chuckling.

"Oh yeah," Alicia laughed.

"Okay, so we all know what to do, I'll just go back home. I miss Ian and the baby misses him."

"Has he told you that?" Zedina teased raising her eyebrows. Alicia stuck her tongue out playfully at her, "Ian has paternal instincts." She rolled her eyes.

Author's Note

Have your friends ever forgotten your birthday? 

What song have you been listening to? I'm listening to Let's Groove  by Earth, Wind , & Fire