Twenty One

TIME FLIES fast when we are in good company, sharing a good laugh, and just being in the moment with people who make us feel safe. Even for a brief moment. It's amazing how the body works and reacts in different conditions. Little changes, whether unexpected or expected, can have a big impact on your mood and shift your perspective on things.

It's all part of the package that is life. 

Alicia never imagined herself having romantic feelings for her best friend. If told about it years ago she would laugh madly and shake her head. She didn't know what triggered whatever she was feeling, but one thing was certain for her. She had an intense crush on her best friend. 

She'd never fancied girls before, at least not in this way. But, she couldn't stop thinking about Zedina in the worst ways possible. She loved Ian without a doubt, he was an amazing boyfriend and he loved her as well. They had been together for three years.

"Baby, are you even listening to me?" Ian's voice sounded like a distant call, he snapped his fingers in front of Alicia's face until she looked at him. They were in his room watching their favourite show, but Alicia's mind was far beyond the scene around her.

"Sorry, what was that?" She called back and offered him a guilty smile.

"What's on your mind?" Ian asked while taking her hand into his, he rubbed his thumb over her hand gently before sighing when she took long to respond.

"Nothing." She sighed and looked away. She felt terrible for not paying attention to him and allowing her thoughts to drift to her innermost yearning.

Ian took a deep breath, he released it, clenched his jaw, and unclenched it. He let go of her hand and sighed heavily and leaned back against the headboard.

"You know nowadays I feel like I'm losing you, babe. Like you're here, but you're not."

"I'm sorry." She sighed softly and played with the ends of her hair.

"Is everything alright? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" She couldn't tell him she had conflicting feelings regarding her best friend.

How could she? It would hurt him. She'd hurt him. She couldn't be so selfish. Besides, her best friend would never be hers, not while she still loved Samantha. Worse, not after her date with Jane. She didn't want to ruin that for her.

"I'm worried about Zee," she said with a tight-lipped nod. 

"Is she alright?"

"Technically yes, I'm just worried that she might not want to move on from Sam. She tries to hide it, but I can see how much pain it's causing her, you know?"

Ian smiled sadly at her and took her hand, he kissed the back of her palm and rubbed it gently.

"You're a good friend my love. Maybe she just needs time to heal, you did say she went on a date with Jane. Who knows, maybe she's the key to helping her out. All you can do is keep being there for her, she knows you care about her. You always have. You should let her take this step on her own, and maybe be a step back to catch her when she's about to fall."

Alicia's eyes watered, and she sniffed back tears. "How do you always know what to say?" She chuckled softly making Ian laugh heartily.

"I'm that good." He teased smiling causing her to slap his shoulder playfully.

"Come here." He motioned extending his arms wide, she laid on top of him and wrapped her arms around his back as he wrapped his around her. He inhaled deeply on top of her head and then sighed softly.

"She'll be alright." He said and kissed the top of her head, Alicia couldn't help smiling and nodded in agreement.

The two lay there entangled for a few minutes in a comfortable silence just listening to each other's heartbeats. Ian would occasionally run his fingers in her hair and rub her scalp.

"I love you." She said after a long silence. She knew she still felt conflicted about her feelings for Zedina, but that could all wait.

"I love you too." Ian smiled and kissed the side of her head.

Author's Note

Heyy :) I can't tell y'all how much I've missed you. Guess who went and got herself sick? This girl! But, I'm doing much better and back at this.

Ian is a sweetie-pie I don't want to hurt him :(

Also, I wanted to give a little side to Alicia so that you understand what's going on with her. Looking forward to updating more. Stay safe :)