CHAPTER - 39

The evening sky changes from minute to minute. From orange yellow to flamboyant pink, the clouds painted with changing colours as the sun goes down. The golden disc is already touching the surface of the ocean.

Along with the sound of waves which were hitting the shore again and again, two men stood there shoving their hands into their pockets, facing the sea.

"Arjun anaiku" Ashwin started after taking a deep breathe but was interrupted by Arjun.

"I heard" Arjun said blankly, whereas his sight fixed on the waves.

"Athu Arj..." Ashwin stopped his words abruptly when Arjun turned facing him with raised palms.

"Can I ask you something?"

Ashwin nodded his head, ushering Arjun to ask further.

"Do you think that I snatched what was yours?"

Ashwin blinked at Arjun, processing what made him to think like that. And that's when his mind recollect the words his friend uttered that day.

Ashwin shook his head negatively saying "Arjun avan sonnatha neen.."

"Please answer me Ashwin"

He inhaled sharply before sighing. "Kandipa ila Arjun. Infact the Sivaangi now is not my girl whom I fell in love with... But a woman who can do anything for her man.

And that's you Arjun. Ava ungalukaga ena vena pannuva... Aana ungala yaarukagavum vida maata"

"Bro" Arjun furrowed his eyebrows while Ashwin continued.

"Aniku hospital ah ava epdi irunthanu naa paathen Arjun.. Apo purinjithu How much you mean to her ?.. How much she loves you ?... Where you were in her heart ?.. Ipdi ellamae...

I loved her that's true.. Unmaiya sollanumna I still do. But from now, it will be as a fan.

(Ashwin chuckled plainly)

Namma pakathula irunthu avanga manasula irukuratha vida... Evlo thooram ponalum epovum avanga ninaipu nammala suthi irukanum.

(Ashwin took a deep breathe)

Apdi patha nengathan ava manasu muluka niranju irukinga... Intha 10 days ava epdi irunthanu pathurukanum nenga apo ipdi enta ketutu iruka matinga" Ashwin finished chuckling whilst shooking his head.

While Arjun smiled a bit saying "Naa paathen bro and I know her... I just want to know what you were thinking. Nenga ipo aama nu soliruntha, I would have begged you for her rather than sacrificing her. Avala vittu kuduthutu pora alavuku naa thiyagi ila bro. Just an another ordinary selfish human being"

Ashwin patted his shoulder saying "She is lucky bro.(Arjun shook his head negatively, while Ashwin smiled before saying) You too." And received a nod from him.

"Orae oru request bro" Ashwin asked after few minutes of silence while Arjun nodded at him.

"Ithu ethuvum avaluku teriya vendam please. If so she may avoid me. Inoru time athu enaku venam. I want to be there beside her as a good friend forever. Will you allow me? You won't shoo me away right?" His voice cracked while both their eyes glistened.

"Bro" Arjun hugged Ashwin tightly making him to reciprocate the hug.

"She is yours Arjun. Naa irunthu irunthalum she would have become yours, somehow. She is your lifetime settlement... Arjun's lifetime settlement" Ashwin whispered wiping his own tears which threatened to fall while Arjun chuckled in tears.

Only Ashwin knows whether he said that to cheer Arjun or to convince himself that she is not his.

"Thanks brother... But neenga.." Arjun trailed his words.