Part 17- The Notebook

As I made breakfast, I couldn't get Natalie and Mr. White out of my mind.

What she was doing was entirely wrong. She was naive, she was selfish. I expected her be smarter than that.

But for Mila to try to throw her in prison?

That was a low blow. I felt guilty for even thinking that.

But even though Mila was gone- that doesn't mean that she was perfect while she was still here. And accepting that was a hard pill to swallow. I wanted to look back on her and think all positive things. But with the secrets I was learning, it was getting more and more difficult.

"Glad to see you eating."

I looked up from mashing avocados for some toast to see Rachael standing at entrance of the kitchen.

"Um...thanks?" I said, adding a squeeze of lemon to the avocado.

"I don't see you eat much...when I do see you here." Rachael said, walking toward me.

"Yeah, I don't have much of an appetite lately." I said, "But this morning I decided to make myself some breakfast. Avocado toast."

"Are you going to make some for Daisy as well?"

"What?" I looked at Rachael, taken off guard by her question.

She walked up closer to me and stood across the counter.

"Are you making some for Daisy as well?" she repeated herself.

"Yeah, I heard you the first time." I said, "Why do you ask?"

Rachael looked at me from behind her glasses. "I saw you two. Kissing."

I felt my heart start to pound.

"Okay." I said, trying to keep my cool. "That's alright. It's not something that I am intentionally trying to keep a secret."

"But you know that Mila would have felt weird about it." Rachael quipped.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, with an edge to my tone.

"You know what I'm talking about. Don't act like you didn't suspect that Mila found Daisy to be attractive." Rachael said, and then grabbed a banana. "See you later, Cassidy." she then started to walk out of the kitchen.

I suddenly was not hungry anymore. I stood at the kitchen counter, unsure what to do about my halfway prepared avocado toast.

It wasn't before long that Nicki walked in.

"Hey!" she smiled at me, "Are you making avocado toast?"

I sighed, "I was. But I kind of lost my appetite. Do you want me to make you some?"

Nicki's brows furrowed. "Are you okay, babe?"

"I'm okay." I nodded, "I am."

"I'll take some avocado toast. But you have to promise to eat some." Nicki said, sitting down at the counter.

I finished toasting the sourdough bread and seasoning the avocado. I then sat down next to Nicki and we are together.

Nicki was talking to me, and I could tell she was trying to distract me from what was on my mind.

Because my mind was spinning in circles. Rachael was starting to freak me out. Were we even safe with her here?

After Nicki and I ate, we cleaned up our plates. As I we walked out of the kitchen, I noticed Rachael was outside, in front of the house, jogging in place. She was preparing to go on a run.