Part 11- The Ex

Once again, I couldn't sleep at all. Especially knowing that Mila was bludgeoned with a fucking baseball bat.

I woke up the next morning after only sleeping for about an hour. I needed to do something to keep myself busy. I had to go somewhere.

I decided to walk to the nearest Starbucks, which was right off campus in the college town. It was a cold December morning, but my mind was so distracted, that I barely noticed.

I kept thinking about Mila, of course.

I couldn't help but think of Daisy as well. All night I thought about her- and how I ruined things before they even started basically.

I liked Daisy. But now I was sure she wouldn't give me the time of day.

I kept thinking about her as I stood in the long line at Starbucks.

That was until a very familiar face walked in and immediately caught my eye.

Brittany Anderson. My ex-girlfriend.

She was wearing her usual dark attire. Today she had on a form fitting turtleneck sweater and ripped dark jeans. The turtleneck was cropped, showing her bellybutton ring. Her long, very dark brown hair was long and straight, and I could see her bold makeup from across the shop.

We were an odd pair- Brittany and I. Her being dark and alternative, and me being more glam and girly. But we worked.

Until we didn't.

Brittany caught my eye and walked right up to me in line.

I hadn't spoken to Brittany since the end of freshman year. Sure, over the summer she texted me a few times- and I didn't respond. But now, I had no choice but to speak to her. I was stuck.

As she got close to me I could smell her perfume, and saw that she had a new piercing- a second nose hoop.

"Cassidy, I know we have no spoken in a very long time." Brittany said, "But I am so sorry about Mila. Truly. Are you doing okay?"

"As okay as I can be." I gave my ex-girlfriend a small, somewhat fake smile.

"Find me after you grab your coffee." Brittany gave me a gentle smile, and went to the back of the line.

That's the thing with Brittany- she seems very sweet, and very normal. But it's a good persona she puts up. Because she is not like that, at all.

I got my coffee, and went outside. The Starbucks is elevated it takes a few steps to get up to it, and there is a brick patio-style front to it with tables. I sat down at one of the tables, bundling up my scarf against my neck.

The warmth of my latte felt nice. I was going to start walking back soon, but I just couldn't stand being at that house.

A few moments later, I heard Brittany's voice say, "Can I sit across from you?"

Normally I would have said no. But I was too exhausted to even put up a fight.

"Be my guest." I said, gesturing to the empty chair across from me.

Brittany sat down. She had a hot coffee cup in her hand, and she set it down on the table.

"You're doing okay though?" she looked at me with her deep green eyes.

"I don't know, honestly." I said, "It's a very rough and confusing time."

"Yeah...that was kind of a dumb question. Of course you're not doing okay. Your best friend died." Brittany shook her head.

"Still doesn't feel real, hearing that out loud." I said, feeling a lump forming in my throat.

"Just know that I'm here if you ever want to talk." Brittany said, "I know we didn't end on the best of terms, but that shouldn't matter when it comes to this."