Part 22- Girls Day

Things were a bit tense in the house since Nicki's mom and brother had visited.

Serena was avoiding her the best she could. She knew Nicki herself wasn't racist, and didn't feel the same as her mom. I knew Nicki. She was one of the most accepting people you could find.

But I don't blame Serena for feeling a sense of discomfort. And as a white woman- I would never try to tell her otherwise.

Nicki and I were studying one day in the kitchen toward the end of February. As she nibbled the bottom of her pen she looked at me.

"I think I'm going to ask Serena if she wants to get lunch today." Nicki said.

"Just don't be offended if she says no." I looked at Nicki.

She sighed. "I know. I'm just feeling awful about my mother. I want to clear the air. And let her know that I don't think in a million years that she did anything to Mila. Especially because of the color of her skin."

"It's worth a try. Maybe ask Serena if she wants to get tacos. Those are her favorite." I smiled at Nicki.

"I will. Mind if cut our study session short?" Nicki gave me a small smile back.

"Of course not." I said, "You go make amends."

I did some more of my homework- and about 10 minutes later I saw Nicki and Serena walking out of the front door together. Serena was talking to Nicki, and Nicki gave me a wink over her shoulder.

I continued on doing my homework. Yes, I was in my classes- but I wasn't doing the best at them. I was still extremely distracted- which my academic advisor said would be expected, and my professors know why.

Everyone knew why.

Do I even want to be a nurse? Everything seems so...unexciting now.

I had typed up one sentence in twenty minutes of a paper I had to write, when footsteps coming into the kitchen startled me.

I looked up to see Candace, whose blonde hair looked freshly colored and styled.

"Hey, did you get your hair done? It looks nice." I said to her.

"I did, thanks." she smiled at me, "I needed my roots done. How has your day been, Cassidy?"

"Honestly, homework is kicking my ass." I said, putting my pen down.

"Do you need a break?" Candace asked me, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

"Did you have something in mind?" I asked her.

"I was going to go to the mall and do some shopping. Pick out some clothes for spring. Maybe some bikinis for summer. Want to come with me?" Candace faced me, leaning against the counter.

This would be my first time doing anything with Candace alone. All of the other times I hung out with her was as a group.

"You know what...sure." I said, shutting my MacBook. "Let's go."

I hadn't been in Candace's car either. She drove a red Lexus.

"Your car really nice." I said, getting into the passenger seat.

"Thanks!" she smiled at me, "I got it as a gift for my 18th birthday. I expect I will get another when I turn 21."

She started driving, and the 10 minute ride to the mall wasn't awkward- surprisingly. We talked mostly about school, as we were both Nursing majors. Candace seemed to be understanding the subjects better than myself.

We got to the mall, and immediately Candace wanted to go to Nordstrom's. Melissa loves that store. Mila loved it too.

Candace looked for bikinis, and grabbed two without trying them on.