Part 8- Thanksgiving After Party

We weren't allowed to leave for Thanksgiving.

The police department informed us that we had to stay, pending the investigation going on.

Candace was not happy.

"What the fuck!" she exclaimed, "Every year my family hosts a huge dinner at the country club my dad owns."

"We have to cooperate with the cops." Serena said back to her, "It is what it is."

"Listen, just because you don't really have a nice joke to go back to for Thanksgiving, doesn't mean you can tell me how I should feel." Candace said back.

Serena got up from the couch she was sitting on. "Excuse me?"

She stepped up closer to Candace.

"Whoa, back up." Candace said, taking a step back.

"Fuck you, Candace." Serena said, "You are an entitled brat."

Serena then walked off, and Candace simply rolled her eyes and walked away.

Tensions were high. Very high.

I called my mom to tell her I had to stay put at college.

"Oh, honey...I'm sorry." my mom said, "I wish you were able to come home. Especially with everything you are going through. We are going to miss you."

I sighed. "I'll miss you too, mom."

I don't know what I was expecting from my mom- I almost wished she would have offered to come see me. But I couldn't ask that of her and my step father, Brian.

Almost as if on cue, I my step mother, Melissa, called me.

"Your brother told me that you aren't allowed to leave campus." Melissa said, "Your dad and I are going to come up and see you on Thanksgiving. We will take you out to dinner."

As usual, Melissa didn't give me a choice in the matter.

But this time I didn't mind.

"Thank you." I said, "I'd really like that."

After I hung up with Melissa, I laid down on my bed. From the stress, lack of sleep, and grief, I was exhausted.

Nicki then came into the bedroom.

"Mind if I sit down?" she pointed to the edge of my bed.

"Go for it." I sat up, so I could be next to her.

Nicki sighed. "It sucks- not being able to go home for Thanksgiving. But my mom and my brother are going to come down here for it, we are going to figure something out."

"Melissa just called me, her and my dad are going to come here and take me out to dinner."

"Not your mom and Brian?" Nicki asked me. Nicki knows all about my family situation. In fact, Nicki knows a lot about me. Maybe even more than Mila did.

"No." I sighed, "But I would rather my dad and Melissa than no one."

Nicki put her hand on mine. "I know. We aren't the only ones upset. I saw Rachael crying in the backyard- I believe she's from New York. That's tough that she can't go home."

"Nic, I saw her the other day acting...weird." I said, "I mean, who knows. I don't know Rachael well at all. Maybe it is normal behavior for her."

"What did you see?" Nicki asked me.

"She was pacing around outside- just back and forth, back and forth. I know that things are super...weird right now. But it was just odd to me."

Nicki paused.  "That is odd. I mean, none of us know much about Rachael. She's really quiet. Did Mila get along with her last year? I know they shared a room."