Chapter 17 : Buried in the Snow

Off-Campus Hakuren Dorms, 03:00, Next Day

Blinking his bright orange eyes in the darkness of his room, Leonidas was accustomed to the same sight he saw every night.

Practically devoid of any personal belongings, Leonidas looked from his plain blue bed that had a single pillow on it, at the sparse room. If it weren't for the closet that had 3 sets of overly large clothes and a small bag that had his tablet charging besides it, it would be almost impossible to determine whether or not someone actually lived here.

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock

The clock hanging across the room was loud, but the constant tick had a hypnotizing allure that soothed Leonidas so he buried himself even more tightly under his blue blanket and watched it peacefully.

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock

After 60 ticks, the larger arrow moved slightly. Watching the arrow continue to move, Leonidas decided to play the game that he had learned when he was younger.

Tick One Tick Two Tick Three

Counting along with the ticking of the clock in his head, Leonidas knew that once hit 60, the arrow would move again. Then once he restarted 60 times, the smaller arrow would move.

Fun.

One, Two, Three...

One, Two, Three...

One, Two, Three...

Leonidas was good at counting, and he was good at waiting. He wondered for a brief moment if anyone else knew such a fun game existed before his mind found its way back to the large clock on the wall and resumed the game.

One, Two, Three...

Fifty-eight, Fifty-nine, Sixty...

One, Two, Three...

05:58

Seeing the small arrow begin to approach the six, Leonidas felt a pang in his heart. Like every other night, the game eventually had to come to an end but for some reason he still felt a twinge of sadness that they would have to part until the next night.

05:59

In the last minute, it always seemed to Leonidas that the arrow would begin to move slower, as if it too was not willing to let the game end here, but inevitably the small arrow hit the six and Leonidas took off the blanket that he had wrapped around himself. Getting up with smooth movements he approached the clock that was placed slightly above his head on the opposing wall. Touching it gently with his left hand, he stroked the clock while thanking it internally for keeping him company through another night.

It was time.

Getting on all fours, he stretched his arm underneath his bed and felt around a little until he heard the crinkle of a foil bag and felt the small bag in his hand.

Opening the bag of kinoko no yama[1] he popped one in his mouth only to feel slightly disappointed. It was his favorite cookies n' cream flavour. He had put them the furthest in the back meaning it would be time to restock soon. Rolling it around in his mouth for a little longer to savour it, Leonidas felt the sweet chocolate melt before looking forlornly into the bag that seemed to be getting smaller and smaller each year.

Perhaps he should start eating two bags in the morning?

No.

Shaking his head at the devil's temptation, Leonidas finished up his breakfast before entering the bathroom to wash up and get ready for the day. Changing into his school uniform, he then grabbed his bag and tablet from his desk before walking across the hallway and pressing the keypad to unlock the door.