two

Amber

~Two months later~

"Amber?"

I snapped out of my daze and looked up to see my psychiatrist looking at me, "Huh?"

"You spaced out,"

"Oh, sorry,"

"No need to apologize," she smiled at me.

"What was the question?"

"I asked how it is living with your sister?"

"Oh, it's alright," I lied, picking at my fingernails, taking off the rest of the pink polish.

"When did you get your nails done?"

"I painted them two nights ago,"

"And I see the polish is already off,"

"I pick at my nails a lot," I told her truthfully.

"I see you're out of school now," she continued. "Are you excited for summer?"

"Yeah," I nodded, glancing down at the floor. "It's good to have a break,"

"Any plans?"

"Not really, do you?" I looked up at her. My question made her smile as she leaned back in her seat.

"Well, remember that week I canceled your appointments?" she asked and I nodded. "I'm going with my husband and some of our friends to Outerbanks,"

"Oh, that'll be fun,"

"Yeah, we have a couple of plans," she smiled.

"I was supposed to go to the Grand Canyon with my dad, we've always wanted to go," I admitted. "Now we can't,"

"I'm sorry to hear that," she apologized, but I shrugged. "Does that bring up any emotions or thoughts?"

"A lot about that day, I guess," I answered, "we planned the trip that day,"

"You don't talk much about that day,"

"No one knows about that day,"

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked, but I shook my head. "Alright, you don't have to say anything you don't want to, but it's always an option,"

"I know,"

"Have you been sleeping better?"

"Mhm," I hummed, lying again.

"No nightmares?"

"Nope," I shook my head.

"How is the medication working?"

"It's fine," I shrugged, which wasn't the truth. It did absolutely nothing.

Before she could ask me another question, the door busted open and my sister entered the room, "Times up,"

"Ma'am, you can't be back here," the secretary scolded.

'It's alright," Sierra reassured her. "Time was up, that is my fault for running late," she apologized. "I'll see you next week, Amber?" she asked.

"Yeah, Tuesday," I nodded.

"Have a good weekend," she smiled.

"You too," I stood up and grabbed my phone off her desk before following my sister out.

"I'm going to be late," she ranted as we walked to the elevator.

"Sorry," I mumbled, covering my hands with my sweatshirt sleeve. She continued to rant as we walked, but once we were out of the psychiatrist office and in the hallways, I saw a doctor walking by, one that I instantly recognized. When my dad was brought in, he was the one who took him to help, but sadly unsuccessful. I guess he recognized me too. As we walked past, he sent me a warm smile, which I returned with a small one, until my sister snapped me back to her problem.

"Are you even listening?"

"Sorry," I mumbed.

"Jesus, you're such a pain," she scoffed.