thirty three

Amber

On Wednesday mom and dad took me kayaking early in the morning. Mom completely forgot about the girl's day in the afternoon, so it was a quick kayaking trip. When we came back, mom and I got changed into some nice outfits. I was wearing a light purple mini dress with little white flowers on it. I also put on a pair of sandals, then we were out the door. As we drove to lunch, mom sat in the back with me dutch braiding my hair into two braids.

"Have you enjoyed the trip, Amber?" Margaret asked.

"Uh huh," I nodded. "I feel bad that Ashton couldn;t go crab hunting,"

"Don't worry about it, you guys can go later in the week," she reassured me and I nodded.

"Today, we're getting our nails done though," mom reminded me. "What color are you getting?"

"Light purple, like my dress,"

"That will look beautiful," Crystal beamed.
We arrived at the restaurant and went in. Someone led us out to the patio, so we sat in the sun since it was nice out. I sat next to mom, looking through the menu. I didn't listen to the conversation going on, but instead tried to figure out what I wanted. Everything was so expensive though, which made me feel uncomfortable.

"What are you thinking of getting?" mom asked as Crystal and Margaret were talking about work.

"I don't know," I mumbled. "It's too expensive,"

"We're spoiling ourselves today, we deserve it," mom reminded me with a small smile. "Don't worry about it,"

I still worried about it. I opted for a caesar salad, which mom knew I did because it was on the cheaper side of the menu. However, she didn't comment on it, not wanting to embarrass me. Plus, I had ruined the trip for everyone. I didn't care what anyone said, I knew I ruined it.

"What are you and Calum going to do Thursday?" Crystal asked.

"I dunno," I shrugged.

"I think he mentioned an arcade he saw," mom reminded me. "That would be fun,"

"Yeah," I nodded in agreement.

"Not as fun as today though," Margaret chimed in.

"Oh, absolutely," mom laughed in agreement. Our food finally came out after a while, then we ate. I didn't do much of the talking, but I listened to everything the three had to say. Most of it was about work, which I couldn't relate to. Once we finished dinner, we were walking to a nail salon a couple of blocks away for manicures. I held mom's hand, looking for some comfort and reassurance as we walked, which she caught onto. I didn't expect anything less, she knew me better than I knew myself sometimes.

"Today is going to be fun, trust me," mom whispered. "It's a time to get away from all the stress, and Crystal and Margaret are so excited you came,"

"They are?" I quietly questioned, looking at her.

"Absolutely," she smiled widely. "We all are,"