thirteen

Amber

"Welcome home," Luke opened the front door to a large house. Their house was the nicest house I had ever seen. It was filled with pastels and open spaces with tons of sunlight entering the house. Before I could say anything, we heard a dog barking and quickly it rushed into the room.

"This is Petunia," Sierra told me as Luke knelt down and stopped the bulldog from tackling me. "You can pet her if you want, she's friendly," I sat my bag down and crouched down, petting Petunia who was breathing heavily.

"She's so cute,"

"Our friends think the opposite," Luke admitted with a laugh. "We'll show you your room," I stood up and followed them upstairs. Behind us, Petunia trouted along happily, following closely behind me. Luke opened a door to a guest room, which matched the whole theme of the house.

"We can decorate it however you want, it's your space," Sierra promised.

"I love it, thank you," I smiled gratefully.

"We were going to order pizza if you'd like," Luke said and I agreed. After putting my stuff down, we all went back downstairs. As the two went through some pizza places and to order from, I was looking at the pictures they had on a shelf in the living room. There were lots with their family and friends, but again I saw the same doctor my dad had.

"What do you want on your pizza, Amber?" Sierra asked.

"Who is that?" I changed the topic to my own question.

"Oh, those are some of our friends. The guy you're talking about is Ashton," she answered.

"Do you recognize him?" Luke questioned.

"Yeah, he was my dad's doctor when he came in from," I paused, "you know,"

"He comes over a lot, maybe one day you can get to know him outside the hospital," Luke suggested.

"Yeah, I want to thank him," I nodded and went back over to the two. "I want cheese on my pizza,"

"I'll go get that ordered," Luke said before walking off, dialing a number to order.

"Our friends come over a lot, they'll love you though," Sierra told me. "Did you want to go to the Outer Banks with everyone? If not we can cancel the vacation and we can do something else,"

"No, I want to go," I reassured her. "I just don't know them,"

"We can have them over before we go if you want,"

"Yeah,"

"Perfect," she grinned. I felt something nudging my foot, making me look down to see Petunia at my feet. I sat down on the ground next to her to pet her as she nuzzled into me. "She really loves you,"

"I've always wanted a dog,"

"She'll turn out to be your best friend, she's a lover," Sierra smiled. As I continued to pet her, Luke came back in with a smile.

"It'll be here in thirty minutes," he announced.

"Perfect, we were talking about the Outer Banks vacation," Sierra told him.

"It's going to be so much fun, we have a lot planned," Luke grinned as he sat down on the floor next to me to pet Petunia. "Beach, a fancy dinner, kayaking, paddle boarding, parks," he listed off.

"I've never been to the beach,"

"Really?" Sierra asked and I shook my head. "Michael and Luke get into extreme sand castle making,"

"And all the kids are always impressed," Luke quickly cut her off. "We'll have the best on the beach,"

"I can't wait,"