morning

To lull myself to sleep every night, I fantasize a different world where I had a second chance with you.

My heavy thoughts pull my eyelids down and my imagination helps me keep my thoughts closed on solely you. It used to be worse, i used to believe that it could be reality someday. However, as I've aged I've come to realize that reality means you only belong in the dark.

I can't keep you once the sun comes up.

Acknowledging this fact has brought me a certain kind of freedom that I would've at first mistaken for imprisonment.

It means i no longer expect or hope for us to veer off our current paths.

It means i can imagine saying everything that I kept locked behind my immature lips.

It means i don't resent you.

It means i don't hate myself.

I dream of a life that we would have ruined in the light of day, but it's one i get to love in the dark.

I get to love who we could have been without undergoing the inevitable ruin i would have set to motion.

My courage in saying and doing all the right things remains in the shadows, under the moon light, after all these years.

Yet, i know that this darkness never lasts, and the rays of light always seem to burn the remains of you and me;

Neverthless, this truth doesn't keep me from hoping you'll be there in the morning, even if I try to tell myself otherwise.

It doesn't keep me from hoping you're reading this right now, seeing my nightly thoughts as you go about your day.

But perhaps it's safer to keep my eyes closed, I'm not ready to wake up and see the empty sun .