Chapter 16

Splitting off from Robin and Nancy, you Steve, Dustin, and Max began driving to the shrink's house. When you arrived, Max got out telling you all to just wait in the car.

"Okay. She's in." Steve unhelpfully informed Dustin and yourself as you all watched Max enter Ms. Kelley's home.
"I'm missing collarbones, not eyes." Dustin responded before turning to him. "So, we gonna talk about... it?"
"Huh? Sorry, talk about what?" Steve questioned.
"Your temporary insanity earlier today when you basically threw yourself at Nance?" He answered him.
"That's not what happened." Steve denied.
"Pretty sure that's what happened. It was pretty public. There were like a lot of witnesses."
"Yeah, as one of those witnesses it did seem like a pretty intense moment of desperation, and I have both my collarbones and eyes." You interjected, leaning up between the seats.
"See, even she gets it and she didn't know the two of you used to date until now."
"Wait, they dated?" You gaped.
"Yeah I thought you put that together."
"Oh man, that makes it even worse. I thought you were just pining for her and that she wasn't interested like that."
"Well you got it partly right, she's just not interested anymore is all."

"First of all that's hurtful," Steve cut into yours and Dustin's conversation, turning back to look at you for a moment "and are you implying I still have a thing for Nance?" He finished, looking back towards Dustin.
"No. I'm not implying. I'm stating. And, as it relates to your steadfast refusal to date Robin, it's pretty much the only logical explanation." Dustin said, surprising you at the new information that he wants the two friends to get together.
"That's not the only one. And as for Nance, I was just trying to protect a friend. A friend, Henderson. Okay?" Steve continued attempting to deny while Dustin appeared to remain unconvinced.
"Okay."
"Yeah right."
Dustin and you both respond simultaneously.
"I don't wanna find her with her eyes sucked out of her skull by this Vecna creep." He continued to add on.
"You're bright red in the face right now." Dustin laughed, teasing Steve.
"I'm not. I don't wanna talk about it. I'll punch you so hard your teeth will fall back out." He announced frustratedly.
"Whoa, hey." You called.
"Whoa. Too far." Dustin disapprovingly said.
"Not cool. Sorry." Steve apologized, realizing what he said.
"It's okay." He assured shrugging as they fist bumped as a sign they were all good.

As they were having their moment, you noticed Max rushing to the car.
"Here she comes. Here she comes." You announced, getting the boys' attention.
"What'd she say?" Steve asked as she hurriedly got in.
"Nothing, just drive." She answered looking panicked. "Steve, drive." She pushed more urgently.
"Okay." He relented starting the car.

Max had stolen the keys to the counselor's office, so your next stop was the school to look for Chrissy's file. During the drive you decided to use the time to ask Max some questions. You asked about Jane, discovering that she was actually Elle, or El, which was short for Eleven and that she had escaped from a lab, she had some telekinesis powers, and the boys found her when they were looking for their missing friend. She told you all about the Demogorgan, Mindflayer, and Demodogs, Steve and Dustin chiming in intermittently to share some of their experiences, as you took in the overload of information. She had mentioned that the Mindflayer returned and possessed people, using them as puppets of some sort. You couldn't help but feel like she was avoiding a part of it, the way she had trouble telling you made you realize Billy must have been involved with it.
"So Billy, he didn't die normally did he?" You asked with tears pooling on your lower lids, threatening to spill over at the thought of the hell the two step siblings had to go through. One making it out to suffer with the burden, yet the other falling victim to the horror of it all. You couldn't decide which one was worse as Max looked into your eyes, her's a reflection of your own, wet with tears.
"No, he didn't." She choked out, using the sleeve of her jacket to wipe her tears as you pulled her into a secure hug, not even sure if it was for her comfort or your own.
After that it was a silent drive until static could be heard coming from Dustin's pack.

"Dustin. It's Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin." Could be heard, as he pulled a walkie from his bag.
"Lucas? Where the hell have you been?" Dustin spoke into it.
"Just listen. Are you looking for Eddie?" Lucas asked.
"We found him, no thanks to you." Dustin bitterly answered.
"You found him?"
"A boathouse on Coal Mill Road. Don't worry. He's safe."
"You guys know he killed Chrissy, right?"
"Not true!" You voiced from the back, upset that one of their party members, who even knew Eddie from being in Hellfire, would think he could do such a thing.
"Wait, who is that?" Lucas confusedly asked on the other end of the walkie.
"No time, but that's bullshit. Eddie tried to save Chrissy." Dustin defended.
"Then why do all the cops say he did it?"

Max moved up to grab the device from Dustin, pressing the button to speak.
"Lucas, you're so behind it's ridiculous, okay? Just meet us at school. We'll explain later." She frustratedly said.
"I... I can't. I think some real bad shit's about to go down." Lucas said, sounding nervous.
"What are you talking about? What bad shit?" Max asked before the other side went silent.
"Lucas?" Max called out to no response.
"I don't like where this is going." You spoke up, now anxious to get back to Eddie as soon as you could.

~

Reaching the school you all snuck in, heading straight for Ms. Kelley's office.
"Dustin, do you copy?" Sounded the walkie as you recognized Robin's voice.
"Yeah, I copy." He answered.
"So, Nancy's a genius. Vecna's first victims date back all the way to 1959. Her shot in the dark was a bull's-eye." Robin revealed to you all while you rushed to follow Max.
"Okay, that's totally bonkers, but I can't really talk right now." He huffed as he walked alongside Steve.
"What are you doing?"
"Breaking and entering school to retrieve confidential and extremely personal files."
"Can you repeat that?"
"Just get your ass over here, stat. We'll explain everything." He hissed, putting the device away. Max stopped in front of a door shoving in the key to unlock it, the rest of you following her inside, shining around your flashlights.

"It's like a mini-Watergate or something. Hawkins gate." Dustin said.
"Making more situation related puns like that went well with the Demodogs." You said sarcastically, remembering from what Max told you that he was the one to usually comes up with names.
"Didn't those guys get caught?" Steve asked.
"Holy shit." Max said rummaging through files in a cabinet.
"You found it?" Dustin asked.
"Yeah, and not just Chrissy's file. Fred was seeing Ms. Kelley too." She explained holding up two files.
Max set one of the files on the desk, taking a seat, and beginning to look through it.
"Can I see Fred's file?" She asked Steve as he handed it over, Dustin holding a flashlight so she could read.
You were walking around shining your light around the room looking at your surroundings. After a moment it was almost like you could feel a shift in the air, it had been quiet for too long as you turned around to see Max completely still.
"Max, what is it?" Dustin asked, to no response. "Max!"

Once again, so sorry for the late update! I have heavy workloads on Monday, so in hindsight this probably wasn't the best idea for a publish day, but I'm trying to stick to it as long as I can! Even though it's not my official update day like Friday I still want to keep it going.
Big Love to all of my readers!
- Nyx 💕